35mm Cartridges ...

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Ed Sukach, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does anyone have any suggestions/ recommendations for commercial "reloadable" 35mm cartridges? I've recently returned to bulk film and after struggling to produce 16 rolls of film in whatever cartridges I've had hanging around here from the dim past, have decided to go the "high road" and buy some fresh. I'll list the expense under "fingernail hygene".

Who is using what? I've contemplated "Plastic with screw-on caps"; Metal DX and non-DX coded (I can use either...). Security (I've had a couple of supposedly properly assembled rolls fall apart) and ease of use - should be able to disassemble to remove the film without total destrction - are necessarily important.

Thanks in advance.

2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I prefer the plastic ones. I find them far harder to open accidentally (sometimes the metal ones will have an end pop off during slightly rough handling). They do seem to have a little more friction to them, though, which bothers some motor driven cameras, although the problem is not major.

The plastic ones never come with DX coding, although Porter's used to sell (and perhaps does) foil DX labels you can apply.

Metal ones are nice because you can get them pre-coded to ISO 100 and 400. Even if I don't normally care, when you're under time duress, and using a compatible body, DX coding can be a real convenience at times.

3. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use Kalt brand metal ones with DX, and the ends have stayed on.

4. Stock Dektol

Stock Dektol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used Kalt Metal ones without DX. They are somewhat fragile- just don't drop them.

5. katphood

katphood Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've always had problems with the metal ones, which usually turned out to be Kalt. Last time I ordered some, a few arrived pre-FUBAR'd from Adorama. Sent them all back and ordered plastic. I can get multiple reloads w/ the same plastic casette, but maybe only one with the metal ones. You can drop the plastic and they keep on going.

6. jolefler

jolefler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm still using freebies...

and have had good luck. I do spend a few minutes working on each cassette, though. I pop off the end from which the spool protrudes, then straighten the cap and make the gap for the cassette body very slightly wider. They all seem to seat securely when assembled, though I try to not drop them for fear of the cap popping off.

I remove the old film end so that I can tape the new film to the spool. I had bad luck early in my efforts when new stock taped to the old film end got caught in the light trap during the rewind, stripping the sprocket holes.

I'll reload them four or five times, then go get more for the local c41 shop.

Jo

7. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I, too, have used and reused the non-DX metal Kalt cassettes with reliable results. Yes, the caps can pop off when dropped. Worse things happen when we drop other photo gear. It's a good idea to clean the felt light traps regularly. It's neater to tape the film to the spools from Kodak cassettes than to the original Kalt spools. The plastic cassettes may be more convenient, but I prefer metal cassettes.

8. Allen

Allen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I buy the Kalt ones from B&H because they're easy to get. Porter's does sell DX labels, if you need them, but I noticed when I looked recently that they didn't have them for 400, curiously.

Good to see you posting again, Ed!

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are there actually several manufacturers of reusable cartrigdes?

I only know of AP in Spain.

11. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd vote for plastic. Screwing in the caps is easier especially if you're doing a lot of rolling.

12. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks!!! to all. I appreciate your desire to help - it is this sense of "community" that will keep film and APUG going for a long, long time.

For the moment, I'm well set up... ~20 rolls of Aristo Color Print 400 and "Premium". That should be a start into evaluating Freestyles' film and to learn the Canon Elan 2e ... at least something about the Canon.

It is interesting to note that ALL - everyone is "Out Of Stock", when it comes to 35mm Plastic Screw - Type cartrides (did we, at one time call these things "cassettes?). Many are buying and loading bulk film? This would be fairly compelling evidence that film is NOT dead.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2009
  14. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's probably more like, why tie up capital in stock that doesn't sell much?

15. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I repeat my question:
    Are there several manufacturers, or is there only AP?

Are we all talking about the same two cartridges?

16. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would suggest that there must be a greater risk in "tying up capital" by warehousing bulk film itself - note that there is a "perishable element" here (the expiration date). The suppliers list the cartridges - and say they are "out of stock" - quite a different thing than not offering cartridges for sale at all.

17. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I like plastic. I had a rotation going of like 40 plastic cans, never had a problem.

You can tape your bulk film onto the remains of a cartridge that has already been processed in a noritsu film processor as it leaves 1" of film sticking out from the cartridge. Ask your local lab, i'm sure they'll be more than happy to dump out their bucket for you

Also they are generally very clean. I mean, they get used once and tossed.
    Metal, you know the end caps aren't going anywhere..

It's an option. If you have one of those Watson loaders it isn't so bad. You just need a good tape. Film leader card tape is a good choice..

18. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, but film is "use once" consumable. Film cartridges can last for years.

19. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I see three brands at B&H (I wonder where the generic ones come from?). I know kalt makes them, so add that.

20. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As seemingly different makes of the two types are marketed, I guess it would be a good idea if we could have photos of them here, so we could designate them and relate comments to those designations.

21. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is there any disadvantage to just using commercial cartridges from the local mini-lab, assuming you can get the leader out with one of those little tools?

BTW, what are 'those little tools' called and where can you buy them?

22. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, it's a real pain in the ass to get the film aligned and taped properly. I've done it. IMO, it's not worth the effort.

23. Poohblah

Poohblah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film leader retriever
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/122166-Arista-Metal-Film-Retriever