35mm contact print sale.

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by marciofs, Dec 14, 2013.

1. marciofs

marciofs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have you heard about any photographer selling 35mm fotos printed on contact print?

2. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Peter Lindbergh sold some contact sheets. Even considered buying one as they were not that expensive around 600Euros and I am a big fan of Lindbergh's pre digi work. Kertesz sold some 35mm contacts as well
    Also look up the following link quiet a few contact sheets http://iphotocentral.com/search/result_list.php/32/contact+sheet/0

3. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    No, I haven't. 6x6 yes, but not 35.

But back in the days (30's or so) some people had 35 mm contact prints in their photo albums. I've seen at least one example of this somewhere on the internet, can't remember where unfortunately. So maybe there is/was someone who did?

EDIT: Ah, yeah - Kertesz! I just looked in a book the other week with early work of him, some showing 35 mm contact prints he did. Wonderful little book.

Here is an article: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2011/09/chez-mondrian.html

4. marciofs

marciofs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't mean contact sheet but contact print of singles 35mm frames.

This is interesting.
    How about now a days? Do you think there are people today who would appreciate 35mm size photos?

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not so long ago Polaroid offered such.

6. marciofs

marciofs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    do you mean those cameras to take portrait for documents?

7. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andre Kertesz as I wrote has done it when he started out, the reproductions in his newer books are sometimes no bigger than the original contact prints and the books sell.

The Polaroid I Zone produced very small 1.5x1in prints and stickers but was discontinued in 2006

Apug member aste did a series of 35mm contact prints in 2010. Plenty of photographers that sell 6x4.5 and 6x6 contact prints so no reason why you shouldn't be able to sell even smaller prints.

8. marciofs

marciofs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am asking because I sell 6x4.5 and 6x7 contact prints and I find it difficult to sell. Ok, to me it is difficult to sell anything but I have the impression many people find too small, specially now a days where people think the big the better. So I was wondering if 35mm would worth trying too or not.

9. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you print only one image on a sheet, or perhaps two or three? What size of paper do you use? I have wanted to try this in 6x6 and maybe 6x9. I have some Ilford MGIV fibre in 7x5 that I bought to try this, but haven't got round to it yet.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

10. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AA said:'if you can't make them good make them bigger. I can see a small print mounted in a large neutralframe looking like preciousj jewel.:wink:good things come in small packages.

11. marciofs

marciofs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I print singles images on a sheet. I cut the paper to pieces a bit bigger than the image, then I mount and frame.

It is what I try to transmit when I thought in my frames, thick and more like "luxurious":

4849598.jpg

But with 35mm I want to make it more affordable. Still in a nice frame but not in a such expensive one.

12. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice framing! I'm looking at doing contact prints of all my 6x6 and 6x7 work as I don't have room for a full enlarger at the moment.

Marciofs I say go for it and see how it turns out

13. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    What might work is the system that was used in nightclubs in the 1970s where you'd get a contact print of yourself and a friend at a table by the end of the evening. It was presented in a key ring holder which had a small magnifying effect so it seemed to be bigger. It was a bit like looking into a small slide viewer but with smaller magnification

By itself a contact print of a 35mm neg is so small as to be of no interest to most people except for maybe a head and shoulders portrait of a "loved one" that fits into a tiny frame.

pentaxuser