35mm Enlarger

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Jeremy, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I picked up a little Minox 35GT for ~$20 almost 3 weeks ago and have been running Tri-X through it like nobody's business. These grainy/contrasty negs just beg to be printed on some glossy paper, but the Omega D5XL is in storage because there's no room to use it in. What I am looking for is a 35mm (and 2 1/4 would be nice, too, but not at all a requirement) enlarger that's easily picked up and moved into the bathroom to print with. Any suggestions? This is a small budget item (and most of the budget is going towards paper), but I don't think that will be a problem with today's darkroom market. The biggest requirement is something that easily stays in alignment. I have heard good things about the Durst and Meopta line of enlargers in this regards.

2. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    My friend gets good results with a Durst F60. I think they are under $50 on ebay. Very compact and light. She has gotten good 11x14 prints from 35mm.

Jon

3. Zathras

Zathras Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another good choice would be an old Leitz Valoy. With a good lens and skill, these can produce stunning prints. The quality of light coming through the single condenser system is beautiful. They do not go out of alignment either.

4. Max Power

Max Power Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got some excellent results with an Omega B-600 (until I replaced it with a Beseler 23C !!!). It was extremely light and easy to move around. It was really easy to align and stayed there. They are all over the place and dirt cheap.

Kent

5. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Bogen 22B for my rolling cart d-room now.
    An Omega B22 or b600 would do as well.

6. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second a Leitz Valoy. Also an Omega B22. Be sure to budget for a good lens. The El-Nikkor 50/2.8 is excellent for the price and should be readily available used.

7. KevinR

KevinR Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am quite pleased with my Omega C700. This is a newer version to the B600. It is fairly easy to move around.

8. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have seen several Leitz Valoy (not the autofocus) at Classic Camera here in Phoenix for under a $100. I think they sell on line as well. If I can recall web site is Ritzcam.com.

9. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Before I got my Omega 4x5 enlarger, I used a Durst M600 (35mm and 120/220) for several years. They're well built, and convenient to take down and setup. The M600 negative carrier has built-in masking blades - a nice feature for a small enlarger. I've seen then available at auction fairly frequently.

10. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I heartily add my vote for the Leitz Valoy or Valoy II. Alignment will not be an issue. Make sure you get one with a negative carrier and a clean condenser. I have a Valoy II which with an El Nikkor 63mm f/2.8 is a great enlarger for 35mm.

11. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul, I just checked out the website and they have one that looks in great condition for $99, but it doesn't appear to have a neg carrier with it. I currently have my eye on a complete Valoy and a couple of complete Durst 601's on ebay at the moment. Time for some web searching to see if I can come up with a neg carrier for the Valoy.

12. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Be sure you can locate a negative carrier for the Valoy before buying one. They could be hard to find. Also, see if the enlarger comes with an Anti-Newton ring glass disc for the condenser. You can get by without one but it simplifies things if you have one.

13. kwmullet

kwmullet Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jeremy,

I'll have a Bessler Cadet II in my car that's yours for free if you want it. The bulb works, it's got a 50mm lens, 35mm carrier and just needs to have the head assembly screwed on the column and it needs to be cleaned off. It's the enlarger from Dianna and my first darkroom. On our first anniversary, we made the guest bath of our new house a darkroom as our present to each other. This enlarger worked just great on the counter of a one-sink lav. I'm pretty sure it'll do 8x10 from 35mm.

I'll probably be giving you a shout about it before you read this -- toward the end of your lunch break.

-KwM-

14. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kevin has passed on his 35mm Beseler to me so that I can get my feet wet, but Classic Camera responded quickly to my email and they have a Leitz Valoy with Leitz 50mm lens and negative carrier for $129.99 shipped to my door--not sure what the going rate is for these enlargers, is this a good deal? I have another email into them asking about the anti-newton glass on the condensor.

In other news I also have 200 8x10 sheets of Forte VC FB coming to me :smile: