35mm for Nikon FE/FE2/FM

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am slowly building a set of prime lenses for my Nikons.Looking for a nice 35mm.What will I be expected to pay for one in good condition?

Thanks

2. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    35mm f/2.8 AI, BGN condition from KEH, about 6 months ago, cost me US$49 plus shipping. Not pristine condition, but no dents or scratches on the body, and no noticable problems with the glass or coating. Good way of trying the focal length out cheaply before buying a more expensive variant.

Ian

3. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ian.
    I've seen a few Nikkor-s models on the auction site.Wonder how they perform?

Mike

4. Nigel

Nigel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I picked up a series E 35mm for less than $50. It isn't a great lens, but it is very good. Good enough that I won't be looking to replace it. Certainly good value for the price.

5. ehparis

ehparis Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've bought a dozen lenses on eBay and only had trouble with one. When I pointed out the defect the seller refunded the cost. All other lenses had mint glass and performed well.

Use common sense in bidding on eBay. Review actual feedback items, not merely numbers, and make certain the advertisement clearly indicates the buyer knows what he's selling. There should be a guarantee and you should be able to pay with PayPal for their protection plan.

Good luck.

6. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If you can, aim for a 35mm 1.4 any version. Truly one of Nikon's very best optical designs, I prefer the older N or N.C versions, the radioactive yellowed glass makes for nice B&W's. Otherwise, a 35mm f2 Ais is a great lens, very sharp, good bokeh and very durable. I have 3 F1.4s and 3 F2, collected over the years. I'd say the F2 Ais is the most lens for the least money.

7. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ...but if you can't find or afford the f1.4, don't despair :smile:

i went shopping for a 35 around christmas. took both on loan for a few days and in the end went with the f2 (price was not an issue). i have to agree, the f2 is an overlooked gem, still quite affordable in the shadow of its "legendary" fat brother. you can find a mint f2 in mid-two-hundreds ($)

8. marsbars

marsbars Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    just my 2 cents on a 35mm lens. I had one, just sold it. I wasn't impressed with it all that much. To me it wasn't all that much wider than a 50mm. It took wonderful pictures but just wasn't wide enough for me. So I went to a 24mm. Now that is just about as wide as I care to go. I read somewhere that the 35mm was used a lot as a normal lens by photo journalists for the little bit of extra angle it gave.

9. tom_bw

tom_bw Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Here are some reviews of the various Nikkor 35mm lenses:
    http://www.nikonlinks.com/equipment_lenses_prime-wide.htm
    Also, check out www.photodo.com, or http://www.photodo.com/products.html?focaltype=3&name=Wide to look at the Nikkor 35mm lenses. There are MTF graphs for three 35mm Nikkors.

I have a 35mm AF-D for my FM2 - it is my second one. The first one suffered from an incurable oily diaphram. In discussions with Nikon Canada, they offered me a choice of repairing the old one for free for life, or to trade it in for a new one (with the oily diaphram problem fixed) at a price that I considered reasonable. I opted for the latter. The point being, be very careful of the AF / AF-D version if buying used - I am not sure at which point the defect was corrected (i.e. what the serial number would be). That being said, optically, it appears to be one of their better 35mm designs based on an aggregation of info in the links above.

BTW - I use this lens 80% of the time.

10. nyoung

nyoung Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Vote for 35mm f2

FWTW - I just sold off a Nikkor O -pre AI (pre-1977) lens converted to AI with a new aperture ring - 35/2 on the bay. It brought $75. At those prices the older Nikkors are a great value with best build quality of any camera maker and great optics to boot. I just sold it because I shoot the 28/2.8 all the time and the 35 was rarely used.

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About the same for me. I sold the 35mm lens and brought a 28mm and a 20mm lens. The 28 mm lens is used more than any other lens when I am in Europe.

Steve