35mm or 50mm, which is your main lens?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Markok765, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was wondering what APUGers use as their carry around lens?

Also, I opened the back of my SLR accidentally :<

Terrible things seem to happen to my camera, first my lightmeter, now this!

It had a great shot on it too!

Also, I only have 1 roll of film left, and a few rolls of MF for the holga.

Would it be funny to use a $20 camera on a almost $500 tripod?

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've gone through periods shooting 35mm where 35mm, 50mm, or 90mm have been my main lens. It depends on what you're shooting and what your vision is.

I have a tripod that cost about $1000, and I often use considerably less expensive cameras on it. I've got the tripod, so I might as well use it.

3. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Firstly, unless you really left the back of the camera open, develop the film, I've been surprised at what I sometimes still had.

I took my 4x5 camera off my tripod and placed a $5.00 Aldi underwater camera on it and took some shots, the looks I got were priceless, but I was the only one still shooting in the rain. :D

Yesterday I went out with a 50mm lens on, as it was a 50mm lens day.

Other times I swing from 24/28mm European cities, 35mm walking around small towns, 50mm walking around my own suburb, or 105 when walking around fairs and like events. The 105 allows you to isolate the subject somewhat!

Mick.

4. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last Friday was a 50mm day. But oftentimes my 35mm lens stays on the camera for weeks or even months on end.

5. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of my favorite lenes for my 35 is a 35-105 zoom, just for it's versatility. But I find that I spend more time at 80 or so mm with it, than 35 or 50.
    This still seems odd to me though, since I used to think of myself as a wide angle sort, back then, a 20mm spent a lot of time on the camera.

6. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    21mm. Or 50mm, or 55mm, or maybe 85mm?

They all have their uses, so I usually leave the 21mm on one camera and change lenses on a second camera. :smile:

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I'm in the mood and use my Leica M3 then I have to use the 50mm Summicron as it's the only lens I own, on my 5x4's it's the 150mm lenses that get the most use.

If I went out with just a 28mm or 35mm lens on a 35mm camera I'd still return with good images, you learn to compose the image to fit the frame , remember that the most important parts of your image are the edges.

Ian

8. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My normal 'grab and run' camera bag has an 85mm mounted and a 24-70mm in the bag. The 85mm practically never leaves the camera though, it's definitely my preferred walkaround lens. Any other lenses only get packed if I know I'm going to need them.

9. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On my F80 a 28-80mm Nikkor, on my R3M 40mm Nokton, on my SQAi a Zenzanon PS 80mm.

10. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with David. My most-used focal length has changed over time, isn't the same by format, ...

There was a time when my 'walking around lens' for 24x36 was a 105 Nikkor. I've always found 35 mm a bit short for general use on 24 x 36, it requires too close an approach to the subject.

Funny thing is that when I was shooting Super 8 I used 6 mm (on the Schneider zooms on my 4008ZM2 and 5008S-MS) and whatever the w/a adapter + 8.5 mm gave on my 310XLs more than any other focal length. And on my 2x3s I'd swear that my most-used focal length is around 4", with 47 mm a close second.

11. isaacc7

isaacc7 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    50mm all the way... For 35mm at least:smile: I also like 80mm for 6x6, 105 for 6x7, 150mm for 4x5...:smile:

12. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably 50mm on 35mm. I use my retina 3c a lot, and although I have the 35 and 80 lenses for it, I don't use them much. I mostly use the 80mm Zeiss on my Pentacon 6, and the 80 Xenotar on my Century Graphic (6X7). The 127 gets the most use on 4X5, so I guess I lean toward "normal" with a little towards the wide side.

13. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    My most used lenses when shooting w/35mm camera was a 28mm and 85mm, 50mm only rarely.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back in my chrome days it was either 24mm or 105mm now it's mostly 50mm or 85mm and occasionally 20mm. I'm considering a 35mm f/2.0 though.

16. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :wink:

i don't have a 35mm lens, only a 50mm lens ...
    and while i have 28 100, 90, 135mm as well, i tend
    to use my 50 most of all ...
    its easier to see the way you see, unless it isn't

john

17. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    You can't beat a 50mm for speed, especially if it's the f/1.2. They're great for nightime use and hand held shots indoors.

18. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I prefer a 35mm a little more because of better dof and when photographing landscapes or larger areas in city as well as some buildings. I like the 50mm when concentrating on a particular subject such as a person, statue, door, or other detail, plus it is usually my fastest, sharpest and cheapest lens; Every kit should have one. As I prefer wides, my kit also includes a 24mm and a 19mm and my long is a telephoto, 70-210 macro, great for isolating flowers or pulling in mountain ranges. That's the kit I've settled on and it's pretty light.

19. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With my Mamiya I have four prime lenses, 45mm, 80mm, 150mm and a newish (to me anyway) 210mm. No one lens I use over the other, but I must admit the 45 and the 150 are favorites. SORRY LITTLES. But for my Minolta sr-T101 (35mm) I have a 28-200 Vivitar Macro Zoom. I ain't messin' with half a studio when I can travel light.

20. ted_smith

ted_smith Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think they say that pound for pound (or dollar for dollar) you get the best value for money with your 50mm. I tend to it as my main lens. Either that or my Nikon Nikkor 60mm Macro

21. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Speaking in terms of 35mm SLRs:

I've manged to put together a very small 24mm, 35mm and 85mm kit in a small Lowepro bag. If I have to limit myself to camera with one lens, with another lens in a pocket, it is 35mm lens on the camera, 85mm in the pocket.

If limited to just one lens, it is the 35mm.

The camera body is an Olympus OM of some sort (choice based most often on which one has which film in it, and whether auto exposure or flash may be needed).

All lenses are Olympus Zuiko (f/2.8 for the 24mm, f/2.0 for the others).

The small size and weight of all the above definitely adds to the flexibility.

Matt

22. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've got 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm Nikkor lenses and FM, FE, and FM2N bodies to mount them on. Can't say I've got a favourite, will frequently go out for the day with one lens and one body but don't think too hard about which to take. I just find the pictures that work with the lens (or not, but then it's me rather than the wrong focal length that's usually to blame!).

Ian

23. bruce terry

bruce terry Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    When I was fast on my feet 35mm was ideal but now that I move slower I strictly use a 50mm, sometimes with my old 6-inch Ries. A bit of a pain but when you need a tripod you need a TRIPOD, right?

24. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I almost always use a tripod.

25. GeoffHill

GeoffHill Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a 17-40 zoom on my camera about 60% of the time, and a 70-200 30% of them time. I rarely use and of the lenses I have in the 40-70 range

26. Sandeha Lynch

Sandeha Lynch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One camera carries a 43mm (PKA), and the other carries a 100mm (M42). That's walkabouts.

And sometimes I'll slap on a fast 50mm or a 35mm.