35mm with mirror lock-up

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Carol, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Carol

Carol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can anyone suggest a couple of 35mm cameras with mirror lock-up for me please? I'm looking for a second hand camera with mirror lock-up, some manual settings, bulb and as not too battery reliant. I need a couple of suggestions as the choices in my area are liable to be limited. Any help appreciated.

2. pauldc

pauldc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Canon FTb will fit the bill nicely. It has all the features you describe. The FD lenses are great and I picked up an FTb and 50mm lens for £50 last year.

3. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Minolta SRT. Some have lock-up and some don't, so don't buy sight unseen. But a rock of a camera, available, all works sans battery (except meter) and Rokkor glass also readily available for a modest investment.

David

4. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikkormat FT3.
    Fully manual and mechanical
    The F series Where F and F2(IIRC) are mechanical and F3 eletronic but mf. F4 and F5 are autofocus
    This site offers more info on Nikon and some Canon mf cameras

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/photography.htm

Cheers Søren

5. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Pentax KX.
    I have had two for twenty years. Batteries only power the open aperture metering, so even if they die (mine usually last longer than the average Conservative party leader does) the full shutter speed range of 1 sec to 1/1000 is still available. There is also no problem with servicing or spares and some wonderful glass available at affordable prices.

Steve

6. Carol

Carol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you all so much for the suggestions. Also thanks to Soren for the link. They all sound good for what I want to do, now I just have to find one of them available in my area. Many thanks.

7. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Olympus OM-1. B-1000, MLU, battery only used for meter. You can frequently find decent ones on ebay with 50mm lens for less than US$100. I've been using one for 5 years now. I had it CLA'd by Camtech last year when it started to show it's age a bit.

Chris

8. BruceN

BruceN Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second the recommendation for the Olympus OM-1n. I think it's absolutely the best, and not just because I have 3 of them. :wink: They're nearly as small and quiet as a Leica, but with all the benefits of an SLR, and the Zuiko glass is tack-sharp. If you want one with a 50mm lens, try for the Zuiko 50mm/f1.4, preferably with a serial number higher than 1,2xx,xxx. Don't sweat the serial # thing too much, though, they're all pretty sharp. The big thing when choosing one is to make sure the viewfinder has no big blotches in it and, once you have it, to send it to Camtech or Photosphere for a CLA/prism foam removal if that hasn't been done yet. I can vouch for John H.'s work at Camtech. The overhaul will probably cost as much as you paid for the camera, but it's worth it. After he gets done with it, your camera will have an accurate meter, will use common SR-44 batteries and will have been completely gone through. As I said, not cheap, but worth every penny as your OM-1n will be ready to reliably serve you for many years.

Bruce

9. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Morning, Carol,

Ditto to the favorable comments on the Olympus OM-1.

Konical

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the OM-1.
    There are 4 versions:
    1) the original M-1, which was pulled from the market when Leica made noises about the name. It is incredibly rare, sought by collectors, and way too expensive;
    2) the original OM-1, which offered as an option the ability to be adapted for motor drive. Apparently, many owners opted to have the adaptation done, so shortly thereafter ...
    2) the OM-1 MD, which included the motor drive adaptation, and finally
    4) the OM-1n, which added a flash ready light indication in the viewfinder (with Olympus flashes) plus some other small refinements.

Some things to note:

1) all models took replaceable accessory hot shoe fittings (they have PC sockets as well). There are different models of the fitting, and they are not interchangeable. They tend to crack, if they are over-tightened, and there are therefor a lot of cracked olympus hot shoe fittings out there. The "shoe 4" model was the last, and was also used by the OM-2n. It can be hard to find in uncracked condition. I have three of them, they are all cracked, but they all work.

2) all models were designed to use the 1.35v mercury 625 batteries that you cannot get anymore (because of the mercury). There are a number of ways to deal with the battery situation - I have the type of adapters that Camtech sells in both my cameras, which cost a few dollars, but pay for themselves. You don't need the batteries, but it would seem a shame not to have the OM-1's meter available, because it works well;

3) the OM-1 is truly a system camera - you can pick up used a huge variety of accessories.

More information throughout the web, but particularly at: OM info

11. bohica

bohica Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would also add the Nikkormat FTN and EL, the EL uses still readily available 6 volt battery and I love the match needle metering in manual mode or you can use aperture priority. It to me is a slightly bigger, heavier, FE with MLU

12. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If your lucky and shooting a Nikon previously, then stay with Nikon just because of the lens interchangeability. I have the Canon FTBn, for sale btw, but it uses the old mercury batteries and one would normally have the meter recalibrated if wanting to use the in-camera meter. Lenses are great and the camera body is highly regarded as extreme temperature capable. The KX might be worth a look only because you can get some extremely good SMC lenses for it at very reasonable prices.

13. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Technically I guess, the Nikon FM does NOT have a lock up lever. But if you pull the little self timer the mirror goes up first, then a few seconds later the shutter cycles. I always used that for total hands off pics with my FM, FM2, FE, and FE-2 cameras.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Mycroft

Mycroft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sounds like an Alpa 11 (11e, 11el, or 11si) . The only thing the battery is for is the meter, and a typical battery will last for 10+ years. Mirror lockup is a slide switch on the side of the camera lens mount, and the 11 series all have nice clear portions of the viewscreen that work well for astro photography.

And you can get converters so you can mount T-mount, M42, Nikon, Lieca and Canon mount lens, besides native Alpa mount.

16. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I actually like this method because once the exposure it complete, the mirror returns ready for the next peek through the finder. I do most of my MLU photography with my M645 and that's a lever, and 99 times out of 100, I'll look thru the viewfinder and doh! the mirror's still up! :smile:

P.S. I do realise the self-timer method has timing issues, but they rarely are a problem.

Carol. do you have some 2nd hand shops where you can go and handle some cameras to see what fits? What camera do you use at the moment, I forget :smile:

17. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dont forget the original F1, F1n and my favourite, the Canon EF. They all retain most capability with no batteries (other than meter and shutter speeds below 1/2 sec in the EF's case.) Lovely cameras all, built like tanks. The EF was unique among early Canon gear by the virtue of havng a Copal Square shutter and x synch of 1/125th.

If you want more modern cameras but are on a budget - Canon Elan II has a mirror pre-release (custom function 5 if I recall from my friend's cameras). You would have to go much older or into the single digit F's to get the feature with Nikon gear - all wonderful cameras, but not inexpensive. The Elan 7 has the same feature and is very much a development of the II - a little newer, a little more expensive used. The Elan II is the bargain among AF gear.

Just thought I'd add to the already extensive list,

Peter.

18. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of the older Practica's do not have an auto return mirror. If you pushed the shutter release partway down the mirror would go up but the shutter would not trip. Then by pushing the shutter release all the way down the shutter would trip.

19. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can't believe no has mentioned the Nikon F or F2 yet.

20. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Post number 4 :smile:
    Cheers Søren

21. Carol

Carol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You know that little voice in your head that tells you to wait and be sensible. Well I ignored it and rang up and ordered a s/hand Nikkormat FTN today. It has MLU and DOF preview which I've never had and comes with a Micro lens which has long been on my wish list.

Darn it if I'd come back here first I would have read Bohica's post and checked what kind of batteries it uses. Mercury. Is this going to be a huge problem?

Mycroft - I note your t-mount reference. Yes I want to put it on a telescope as well hence the need for MLU for stability. Do you take astro-pics?

Nige - Unfortunately the only access I have to s/hand gear is by 'phone from a couple of shops in Adelaide. It's all rather hit and miss for me. I have a couple of Ricoh's which are fine. Just got the wants at the moment.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me out with suggestions. Much appreciated.

22. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Carol,

My 30 year old Nikkormat EL still produces excellent work. I use a 55 Micro Nikkor as often as I can, more as a "normal" lens rather than a macro tool. But I do as often as possible mount the camera on a tripod, lock the mirror up, use the self timer and release the shutter with a shutter release cable. The images made with this method can easily be enlarged to 16x20. The film is your choice.

Don Bryant

23. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got a Wein Air Cell (or two) for my Yashicamat and Gossen Luna Pro meter. It works great with my meters and also worked great with my Olympus OM-1 before I sold it. No meter adjustment necessary. The battery is a zinc air type and has a fairly short life, but I find that they last fairly long in a camera or meter, at least 6 months or a year. It consists of a small battery and a spacing ring to make it the right size.

I have found that there is a very common zinc air hearing aid battery (I think it is a 675) that you should be able to find at a local drug store that forms the middle of the battery. All you have to do when the battery dies is push the battery out of the spacer ring and replace it with the cheap hearing aid battery. Pull off the seal and wait a few minutes and you are ready to go. This means that you are investing $5 - 6 for the initial battery and about $1 each for replacements. Also, they are probably available locally if you have any kind of a drug store there.

Good luck!

Paul.

24. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used Nikon F and Nikkormats for 39 years in spite of their funky MLU. The Nikkormat MLU switch is difficult to operate, and the Nikon F MLU system can waste a frame. Otherwise, they are quite servicable cameras.

25. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funny I don't find the MLU on my FT3 difficult to operate. Press switch down to lock up and push up to unlock. Only thing is you may have to change shutter speed to get to operate it.
    Actually it has both MLU and Mirror Pre Release (MPR).
    Cheers Søren

26. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a couple of cheap Chinon CS screwmount SLRs.

The mirror locks up on them when the self-timer is activated. I find that very useful for macro shots or for landscape stuff where I don't need to worry about the timing of the shot.

If I put the camera on a tripod, use the self-timer and a cable-release to trigger it I can get very stable, very sharp pictures and there are some pretty decent screwmount lenses around.

It's a very old system, but cheap.