3rd party hoods

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by cmo, Sep 7, 2009.

1. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Last night I prepared my cameras and lenses for a trip and discovered that I have two (!) Leica lens hoods for the 2/50 Summicron M, but none for my 2/35 Summicron (2nd version). Wow. How did I do that? (You will find the second hood in the classifieds soon...)

I also found that it would not be a bad idea to add hoods for my Canon 2/100 and 3.5/135 LTM lenses. The big one has a 58mm thread, the 135 has 48mm. I also have a 2/35 Canon with a strange 40mm (not 40.5) thread and a Zeiss Sonnar 1.5/5cm wartime LTM lens with (I think 40.5)

Did I mention my Zeiss Contarex Biogon 4.5/21 with the Leica M adapter? Well, that is one of the lenses in the world that probably does not need a hood, but...

Are there any 3rd party lens hoods available for this little collection that you can recommend?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2009
  2. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ***Are there any 3rd party lens hoods available for this little collection that you can recommend?***

Have you looked on Ebay? I just use any make of rubber ones that fold back, also handy to protect the camera/lens, but I think the rubber ones get scarce for 24mm and below lenses, as they would have to be very wide to stop vignetting.

3. tokam

tokam Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It all really depends on what angle the rubber hoods are moulded to. For 28mm and wider lenses I just trim the rubber hoods back with an Exacto knife. Shoot a short test roll and check for vignetting. Retrim if necessary.

4. budrichard

budrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  5. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Canon needs a low profile Canon 40mm filter and a clamp on 42mm series 6 filter ring with a low profile hood. The last also leave you with an option of series 6 filters in stead of the 40mm, a series 7 clamp on will do as well.

Noel

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2009
  6. Eric Mac

Eric Mac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The heavy star hood for the 50 summicron viginetes (bad spelling) on a 35 summicron. Don't ask how I know.