4-in-1 and 6-in-1 Easel - Useful?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by baumgrenze, Jul 5, 2009.

1. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Palo Alto, C
    About 30 years ago I had access to a darkroom and enlarger at work. I had learned about Cibachrome printing and built an adjustable easel for dividing 8x10 sheets of paper into six 4" x 3 3/8" or four 5" x 4" individual prints. The dividing easels were light tight enough for use with Cibachrome, which requires total darkness when handling the paper. Each dividing easel has a matching focusing board.

The unit consists of a base that was designed to fit tightly on the enlarger baseboard. It has an all-thread driven table that can be driven from driven in one direction with a knob. The table is bored to allow the focusing board and then the dividing easel in precisely the same location in turn.

I used the setup to make smaller prints to share with friends and family. I can see that it would be useful to test filter packs and other exposure parameters.

I posted it on my local (San Francisco) craigslist at $50 and elicited no interest. I had a similar experience with an Omega DII enlarger and eventually gave it to a local high school student.

1) Is such an apparatus of any interest/use to someone working in a darkroom?

2) Did I ask way too much for my handiwork?

3) Should I give up and consign it to the scrap heap?

Attached Files:

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Jan 18, 2007
    Southern California
    Multi Format
    I may rarely print a 4"x6" print any more. I usually go from contact print of the roll of film directly to 8"x10" or 11"x14" directly. Now I almost always print 11"x14". When I get larger trays, I will probably print 16"x20" much of the time. Therefore I would not be interested in you device.

I am sure that others will disagree with me so YMMV.

3. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Sep 13, 2005
    Melbourne Au
    Multi Format
    Brilliant little set of easels. If you were closer to home I could offload that very easily.

I have a commercial version called the Jobo Vario format easel. I use it extensively for doing various configurations of 8x10" paper.

With 135 format it is brilliant as a 5x8" which effectively takes a full frame 35mm film print. With 4x5" format I can do same size or slight enlargements.

I once had another metal version which had 6 plates like yours, somehow I lost it with one of my moves.

I do think you are probably wishing for a bit too much, something like $20-$25 seems to be more likely for a quick(ish) sale but given enough time you should be able to move it.