400 TMY-2 Processing/Suggestions

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Merg Ross, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Merg Ross

Merg Ross Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My advice has always been to test a film before hitting the road. Unfortunately, I did not have time, and have returned with a few rolls (120) of 400 TMY-2 to process. I will of course, process a few test rolls, but would appreciate any feedback from those who have shot this film and are pleased with the results. I have used Rodinal for the past 30 years but am not sure that it would be a good choice for this film.

As always, thanks in advance to the sages that frequent this forum.

Also, any thoughts on 400TX would be appreciated.

mergross.com

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you were happy with Rodinal before then you'll find it's fine with the new Tmax. The films changes are subtle not enough to significantly affect processing.

I've been using Pyrocat HD with both the old & new TMY, but would be equally happy to use Xtol. Can't make suggestions for TriX it's got to be over30 years since I last used it.

Ian

3. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just processed my first roll of tmy-2 120 rated at 400 yesterday and made 11x14 prints today with a omega dichroic head. I went with 8 minutes at 68 deg. in tmax developer, agitation constant first minute then 1 flip every 30 seconds. I just looked up kodak's recommended time and it's 6 3/4 minutes. The results are quite impressive. I have been using tri-x with tmax developer and grain is apparent in 8x10 enlargments. The tmy-2 is sharp and grain isn't very apparent in 11x14's. Try tmax developer with the tri-x too, i think it's an overlooked developer.
    I may switch to tmy-2 for my all purpose 120 film.

4. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use the TMY data as a starting point. Rodinal is great with this stuff.

5. Photoe

Photoe Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I found that using XTOL 1:1 worked very well for TMY-2 rated at 400

6. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I second the recommendation for Xtol, either straight or 1+1. D76H looks great as well. Supposedly it also looks great in Diafine, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

7. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I've developed a few rolls (120) at EI 400 in Xtol 1:1 for 9 min. @ 68 degrees. Negs look good.

8. Rolleijoe

Rolleijoe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've just loaded up my 1st freebie roll of TMY-2 in the Mamiya M645Pro, and since I have a bottle of T-Max developer, will give that a try.

For Tri-X (my usual 400 film) there's nothing else like it.

Rodinal 1:50 will give you sharp accutance and in MF grain really isn't an issue.
    HC-110 1:50 will give overall smooth tonality, not as much accutance, and perhaps a bit more shadow detail.

My 2ยข