46mm film

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Petzi, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Petzi

Petzi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    46mm film seems to exist. It is available on long rolls. Does anybody know which cameras need it? What is the history behind it?

I posted this under MF because I thought 46mm counts as MF...

2. pandino

pandino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Forty-six mm film is for long-roll portrait cameras. It can also be cut into 25" lengths and used on 127 spools if you have kept the backing paper. Frugal Photographer sells 127 refill kits that are basically pieces of 46mm film cut off of 100 foot rolls of Kodak Porta 160NC.

3. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Si,
    It comes in various perf configurations also. I have several long rolls of it in the fridge. Konica 160 and I believe an agfa 160. They work nice in my Yashica 44.
    You need to know someone who works in a good photo shop to get them developed and at least proofed (and your spools and paper back).

tim in san jose

4. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

46mm also was the largest format that could be mounted in a 2"x2" slide mount and dropped into a standard slide projector. Known as the "Superslide".

When I was working as a free-lance cameraman on large multi-projector, multi-screen slide shows, IBM standardized their shows on it so every production house where I worked had the 46mm machinery for their Forox cameras. It was rarely, if ever used for any client but IBM. 35mm was by far the industry standard. It was an awful PITA to glass mount.

5. bart Nadeau

bart Nadeau Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, a pain to mount but a few "feature" (the new product, logo, prize, destination, etc.) super slides at the end of a show cah sure get peoples attention.

6. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or somebody who develops thier own film. 46mm is 127 and all the plastic reels have settings for 127. Would be a pain doing 100 feet this way but okay for smaller amounts.

7. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    46mm was a format used among other things in cameras that took yearbook pictures in schools. You load some military-looking brute with a big roll of it, and shoot a few scores of nerdy, jocky, princessy, or artsy student types so they have wonderful souvenirs of their worst days in life.

8. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Film for Classics also has 127, and there are a couple other places that have it too (at least one of the banner ads places here has 127).

9. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Is 46mm the same size as 127 with, or without the perfs?

10. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does this 46mm film come without perforations?

I just bought a fixxer upper grey baby Rollei so cheap 127 is becoming relevant in my little world :wink:

11. pandino

pandino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure how far the perfs intrude into the image area, but 46mm = 46mm.

Mike, It does come without perfs and shows up fairly regularly on the auction site. I've never seen anything other than color portrait films (Agfa & Kodak,) but would love to get my hands on a few hundred feet of E-6 and B&W.

12. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can set you up with several hundred feet of expired kodalith (single perf) if you wish. On very rare occasions you might find outdated regular B&W 46mm film. It was in the big yeller catalog till a couple of years ago.

tim in san jose

13. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks to inspiration from Donald Qualls, I have started feeding my Yashica44 with cut down 120 film. I mount it on my wood lathe and measure it with an existing piece of 127 film. Take the fabric rotary cutter, make the slice, and re-roll the film onto a 127 spool.

Getting the 127 spools is the hard part. I have about a half dozen so that limits how much film I have ready at any one time. So far, I have only done Tri-X but there is PanF in my 127 future. I suspect that camera and PanF will be winners. If you do your own E-6 processing, Ektachromes or slow speed Fujichromes would probably be smashing with your Baby.

tim in san jose

14. pandino

pandino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tim,
    I'd like to take you up on that. I can trade 100' of fresh 46mm Portra 160NC for it.

15. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This doesn't come in chrome I assume. ^_^;;

My poor Yashica 44 is in such a need of service but I don't want to until I can get 127 slides again.

I should also learn to dev chromes first too. :tongue: