4x10 and 8x20 Self Build Site

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by philldresser, Mar 16, 2006.

1. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just surfing tonight and came across this site regarding LF self build.

High quality and standards

Phill

2. mark

mark Member

thanks for the post.

3. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark

Way beyond my capabilities but we can dream :smile:

Phill

4. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

Amazing.

5. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Viw Camera Magazine ran an article on them a couple issues ago. The website is much better though. The first time I saw it (maybe a year ago) it almost discouarged me from trying to make my own cameras. Luckily I'm stupid and convinced myself that if people could make wooden cameras with just hand tools for decades before CNC machines and anodizing were developed, then maybe I could too. But those cameras ARE too cool. The only negative I saw to them was weight. I can't find it on there now, but I remember thinking it was more than double the weight of my Korona 8x20. More stable, but at twice the weight, I'll live with what I've got.

6. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's true that CNC setups can be more precise and faster but a good jig and an appreciation of what is required is all that's necessary. Why use a mill or horizontal boring machine when a drill press will do the job. Why think you have to have a mill to make slots. A jig and a metal cutting blade on a table saw will do it. Sure you might have to finish it off with a file, but look at the old cameras. You see Kerf marks on the parts that don't show, and some that do show. Why get excited just do a little hand sanding. You can't find knobs? Have them made or look on the net, there out there. These wooden products aren't any more difficult than putting together a wooden plane or boat model. Maybe even easier. Have you ever held a lens up with a plain ground glass and moved the lens till you got an image? The camera is just the part that goes in between that allows you to move the lens and keep it there for an exposure. It's a great feeling to make the one you use. And it will be new and you will understand it because you built it. All of the information is out there and Dave at Satin Snow can make you a ground glass that will blow your socks off. I have the 11x14 ground glass ready for our build thanks to Dave.

regards
    Curt

7. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great find Phil! Thanks for the post. I am embarking on a similar project and this is the best visual information I have seen.

Curt, I like your way of thinking.

Thanks again Phil.

Bill

8. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are 100% right, Curt, but the craftsmanship shown is amazing.

I build my cameras with a vertical drill stand, hand saw, sanding paper and a dremel with table mill.

G

9. barryjyoung

barryjyoung Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I now have one inch and three quarter inch diameter knobs available. email me off list for pictures, They are solid brass and knurled, They come unlacquered.