4x5 enlarger lens?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by jono, Sep 28, 2011.

1. jono

jono Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is the best lens for a 4x5 enlarger, enlarging 4x5 negs? I have heard either 135 or 150 mm. Any suggestions as to which one is most appropriate? Thank you.

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Either one. The one with the best quality that you can afford.

Steve

3. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have some off brand oldies collecting dust... pm me and I'll tell you what I have in the morning.... one I think is a woolensack.

4. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    135 & 150mm are good choices. Many good brands to choose from. I rarely enlarge to more than 11x14 so I can get away with an old Schneider 210mm on my Beseler 45. For anything larger than that I use a Rodenstock 135mm.

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Wollensak 135mm that is quite sharp and (IMO) is every bit as good, though slightly less contrasty than my Rodenstock Rodagon 150mm. The chief difference between them is enlargment size. I get a larger area illuminated with the 135 set at a lower column height, nearly a full 11x14 on the 8x10 setting for the 150.

6. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you make large enlargements then the 135mm may be better. The 150mm is generally my preferred lens for 5x7 to 11x14 images as it gives me adequate space to work under the lens with dodging and burning tools. However I used a 135mm for years without issue. Now that I have both, I usually pick based on the enlargement size. Once I get to 20x24 I need to switch to the 135mm so i can reach the focus knob on the enlarger and see the grain magnifier at the same time.

My advise is to buy the best one you can find in either focal length. Top quality lenses are really cheap these days.

7. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Dear jono,

The Nikon 135 is very nice and usually available at an attractive price.

Neal Wydra

8. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a El-Nikkor 135 for 4x5 and also for 6x6cm without changing it. I have another enlarger with a componon-s 80mm for 6x6 for larger 6x6 enlargements.