4x5 Enlarger

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by ashokgoyal42, Jul 21, 2010.

1. ashokgoyal42

ashokgoyal42 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I want to buy a 4x5 enlarger. It is the only enlarger I intend to invest in for a while. What would be a good make and configuration to buy? I have never used an enlarger before - till now my prints have been from scanned negatives.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Ashok

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    De Vere are particularly good, probably the best available in any country, the 504 is a good model parts still available and still made, and Durst 138'sare close in terms of quality as well (make sure it's a 5x4 model). This page gives you an idea of what they are like, rather expensive now new, but there have been a lot second-hand..

With either a colour head will allow you to use Variable Contrast papers or colour papers. A cheaper slightly less robust alternative is the LPL 5x4 (sold as a Saunders in the US).

Weight is you major problem so shipping from abroad would be very expensive but I'm sure just like everywhere else Pro labs in India will be changing getting rid of surplus equipment.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2010
  3. ashokgoyal42

ashokgoyal42 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

Ashok

4. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I would look at the Beseler brand as well. They are workhorses. If you can find a 45v-xl, it would last you and your progeny a lifetime. I have tried to eliminate the omegas from the line up as they have parts that need replacing after time. Parts that can't be found. I have had a couple of beselers that have worked without fail for way over 30 years.

Consider the 45mx as well. Not as sexy, but a very good enlarger.

5. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Beseler is very good if available, also Durst, which I would think is more available outside the USA.

Good Luck.

6. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I agree with all the above comments but would like to add another consideration - long term reliability

I bought the most simple mechanical Enlarger I could find (a DeVere 504 Mk4) - as there is far less to go wrong than with the more advanced models with electric microdrives and microprocessor controllers.

I intend to keep my Enlarger for decades to come and the simple mechanics of the DeVere appealed to me - there is so little to go wrong.

Just my $0.02

Martin

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure what brands available in India, but any brand 4x5 enlarger within driving distance should be good (assuming it works and has enough extra parts to make a print). The 4x5 enlargers usually were NOT economy models so most should be well built.

8. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Ashok

just about eny enlarger brand will work - I've used De Vere, Chromega, Bessler, Durst, Meopta, Polaroid, LPL over the years as a professinal printer - all are capable of godd results.

You didn't mention if you would be printing 35mm negs? If you are make sure you get the correct condensors/mixing boxes - otherwise your print times will be very long..

Regardless ow which enlarger you get (the brand doesn't really matter) - get a good lens

The lens matters

Cheers

Andrew

9. ashokgoyal42

ashokgoyal42 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Andrew,

Thanks. I don't intend to develop 35mm. Intend to print medium and large format only.

Ashok

10. ashokgoyal42

ashokgoyal42 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone.

Ashok

11. Raj

Raj Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello Ashok,

I am Raj from Secunderabad India, I recently purchased an Omega 6 X 9 cm enlarger from a local source, this guy has another Omega 4 X 5 D2 enlarger in good shape with a few glassless neg carriers and a lens. Another person has an AGIL model 11 (Indian Brand), 4 1/2" X 6 1/2" enlarger also. Let me know if you are interested, I can send pictures and if the deal goes through I can arrange to ship it for you. Since we are both from India, shipping charges will be minimal and customs duties will not be applicable. May I suggest 3% goes to APUG. PM me if interested.

Best regards,
    Raj
    From beautiful and exotic India.

12. ashokgoyal42

ashokgoyal42 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Raj,

Sent you PM.

Ashok

13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hope you get set up Ashok, it's great that people like nyou and Raj expand the International base of APUG, it's what makes the site interesting.

Some of us work in quite an isolated way, outside Mainland America and Europe, apart from spotting the very odd US tourist off the cruise ships I've only met one other film user here in Turkey in 4 years, although there are quite a few in Istanbul.

Ian

14. ashokgoyal42

ashokgoyal42 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Ian,

It's taking me a while to get started, though the journey is exhilarating. I'm heading towards alternative and looks like it will be a couple of months before my first print. APUG has been an invaluable resource.

Do you shoot photo projects in Turkey?

Ashok