4x5 enlargers still in production ?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Vania, May 17, 2011.

1. Vania

Vania Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    Just curious to know if there are still some 4x5 enlargers in production that will allow to print at least on 20x24 and possibly past that without having to project the image on a wall. I can't find any info on the net and most well known manufacturers websites are dead, malfunctioning or don't mention their enlarger production anymore.
    Thanks.
    Vania

P.S. I would need something easily accessible in Europe, and preferably France.

2. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Bessler 45 allows removal of base-board to project lower.... of course lens selection has a lot to do with it.
    I use a 80mm lens for my 35mm work.

3. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see no reason to buy new darkroom gear at this time. The market is flooded with top notch used equipment for pennies compared to new prices. Check b&h under 4x5 enlargers.

4. Vania

Vania Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In more that 12 years of serious photography, I've only bought used photo equipment from reliable sources so far (a lot actually) and had only horrible experience 99% of the time. I can always send back a camera or lense, etc., but a 4x5 enlarger... As for b&h there are in the US, and I'm in Europe. But thanks for sharing.

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Beseler 45M series uses a bracket that locks the head back for wall projection , any dimension you choose.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The question is "can you get a 120mm WA enlarging lens?"

I think the Rodagon 120mm WA is out of production.

I do think that with a common 135mm lens most 4x5 enlargers made will do 20x24, but that is probably the maximum.

According to the specs of the Omega D5 XL it will do 7.5x enlargements with the 135mm lens. That would work out to 30x36" on the baseboard.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2011
  7. Luseboy

Luseboy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the beseler 45m is one of the very few that is still being produced. If you can get your hands on an "adjus-table" table for it, then you can lower the baseboard way down and most likely be able to do some really huge prints. The table is just nice in general.
    Hope this helps,
    Austin

8. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A 20” x 24” print likely needs at least a 21” wide projection. To that you need the following focal length and negative-to-print distance combinations:

150mm, 1196.4mm

135mm, 1076.8mm

120mm, 957.2mm

The negative-to-print distance is easily measured.

9. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    DeVere 504 with a 150mm lens will project a 20x24 print onto its base board from a 5x4 neg

Made in the UK - http://www.odyssey-sales.co.uk/

They make a new units but also sell refurbished existing units

Martin

10. rjmeyer314

rjmeyer314 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    20x24 on baseboard

I use an 80mm Repromaster on my Omega D2V. It will cover 4x5 and gives me 20x24 prints on the baseboard. The one negative point is that the lens is f/9. However, I find it bright enough to focus.

11. Vania

Vania Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone! I guess I should contact Beseler about international sales, they seem to be the only survivor in this market... I used a few 45 at some point and, although I prefer diffusion heads, I was very happy with them.
    Thanks Martin for the odyssey-sales website, definitely looks interesting.

12. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's not my experience, unfortunately. It seems to me that al the still-good stuff found a new home and all that is left is mostly junk.

13. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are sixty enlargers listed new on the B&H site. About five for 4x5 and even the Super Chromega F.

16. Discoman

Discoman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    yes, there are. beseler 45mxt is still around, costs $2274.99 USD. black and white asis, if you want color, you need an accessory color head(may be harder to find.)
    now, if it cannot do 20x24 (and in my experience, the previous model of 4x5 beseler could do so) just detach the machine from the baseboard and mount it on something. of course, controls are less accessible, but it gives more throw distance.
    hope this answers your question.

17. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This being said though the BEST enlargers were made before 1980... IMO things started getting cheapened. The best stuff seemed to be made in the 1960's. I know though there is refurbishing to be had... I am handy, I appreciate that you may not be.

18. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can still get good stuff used although you have to stumble into it. I picked up a brand new Saunders 4550xl with a whole bunch of other stuff a couple of months ago for $200. You can of course still buy this enlarger new for something like $3700ish at Freestyle. If you want to do bigger prints, the best option is to wall mount the enlarger.

19. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  20. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom

I've seen them, good stuff and built like a tank! But, as others have pointed out, people interested in new enlargers still have several options these days. I didn't know that.

21. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  22. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But they are refurbished models, right? Nothing wrong with that, just to be clear.

23. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  24. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great!

25. Sim2

Sim2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  26. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep. (Emphasis was added.)

I got my Beseler with computerized color head and three German lenses on boards (50, 80, 105), a nice grain focuser, Ilford enlarging meter, all the blueprints and instruction manuals for the enlarger and head, and a Beseler color analyzer locally for $60. I paid another $80 for a 150mm Rodenstock enlarging lens in perfect condition. I paid another $30 for two boxes full of tanks, reels, graduates, a film dryer, etc. Then I paid $100 for a tempered water bath and four tanks. For $270 plus the cost of a trip across town, I got probably $6,000 or $7,000 worth of equipment if it was priced as new.

All you have to do is patiently stalk your local Craigslist and APUG classifieds. Eventually, a deal will come up for you. The Beselers can be mounted with a drop shelf, or leaned back for wall projection.