4x5 for sale in Australia?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Craig T, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Craig T

Craig T Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I'm so tired of Australia being so completely digital now. I'm desperately looking for an ebony SV45U2 or Wisner 4x5 but can't find anything for sale in Australia:confused: With our dollar doing so poorly against the US at the mo, does anyone know of where I can get some gear? Cheers in advance,
    Craig

2. Michael Finder

Michael Finder Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's probably very difficult to find anything where you are, even in Brisbane. If you get a chance to come to Melbourne, Camera Exchange are pretty good and I think they usually have some LF stuff.

By the way, welcome to APUG. :smile:

4. Michael Finder

Michael Finder Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might also try the Photographic Trader bi-monthly magazine available in newsagents - look for the bright yellow cover. Lots of private advertisements from sellers and those wishing to buy. You can place a wanted to buy advert for free. Plenty of dealers advertise. It's a photographic tech-head delight with heaps of analog gear. I've been reading this magazine for 12 years - I subscribe to get the early bargains before it hits the news stands. Cheers Michael.

5. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would also suggest a subscription to the Photographic Trader, I receive it about 4 days before it hits the newsagents.

Hmmm, $2,600 USD if a bit of moolah since the drop in the Oz dollar.

9 Months old, either it didn't work out or cash required due to the financial situation.

The Trader has had an 8x10 Ebony from Tasmania not that long ago, some very interesting and serious stuff gets a look in that publication.

Mick.

6. nsouto

nsouto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Trader, and ebay is where I've seen consistently good prices.

These guys from time to time have some gear.

Overseas, KEH always has some good gear: they are not too expensive, although shipping is s-l-o-w.

Good luck!

7. Craig T

Craig T Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks for the tips guys.
    I've had an eye on the SW45 Michael but it's bellows extension is very limited...good for 6x9 rollfilm though. I want something with a little more movements and will take a longer lens (it's no good being unhappy and wanting to change the system in 6 months). I already subscribe to the photo trader but have found a steep reduction in large format camera sales (of a high quality). I bought an xpan II from the camera exchange about 18 months ago and have been really happy with their service...but alas, another drop in large format gear. I'll give KEH a go. Thanks again guys, it's great to be a part of the team.

Craig

8. cdholden

cdholden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nsouto,
    While shipping across the pond may be slow, KEH stands behind their return policy.
    Don't forget MPEX and Badger Graphics either.
    Chris

9. dogzbum

dogzbum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  10. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have a look at Vanbar. Some second hand ex-pro/studio LF gear at the North Melbourne (head office) outlet. Heaps of sheet film there, too BTW; can't be certain it's ebody (Linhof?).

11. Mal

Mal Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  12. kand

kand Guest

Wista SP 4X5

I have a Wista technical folding camera with micro swing and fresnel focusing screen. Comes with two lens boards, both Copal zero, a focussing cloth and five Double dark slides. In excellent if your are interested?

13. wayne naughton

wayne naughton Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Overseas, KEH always has some good gear: they are not too expensive, although shipping is s-l-o-w.

slow? i had a delivery from Keh to my front door in altona, vic. in 4 days! my only criticism of Keh is that their shipping is expensive and they don't provide a cheaper alternative

14. Leigh Youdale

Leigh Youdale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This thread might be out of date by now, but four days ago I received this email (in part) from Richard White, a professional photographer in Mansfield, Victoria.
    "
    Firstly I am selling my Linhof Technika V 4 x 5" camera. Out of 10 I would give it an 8 or 8 1/2.
    It is the newer of the Technika V's with the metal ratchet for camera rise not the plastic one. It has an almost new bellows and a spare brand new leather bellows. Well looked after and works perfectly.
    I also have a Beattie bright screen which adds 2 stops of brightness to the ground glass. Screen new value over $400. Also there are 2 spare ground glasses with different format markings.
    The lens range I have been using is from 65 to 500 mm. You can also use a 58 mm if you need to.
    If you need to familiarize yourself with the camera see the Linhof web site.
    I am selling it for A$1750 for the camera plus the screen and extra bellows. Without the "Bright screen" the price is $1500."
    You can contact him through <www.richardwhite.com.au>

15. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Leigh,
    I too received Richard White's email regarding the sale of his stuff.
    It sounds great, if a probably heavy. But I bought my LF a while earlier so I have no need for it. <sigh>
    RW obviously looks after his stuff and he's produced beautiful work with it. I think prospective buyers should arrange to check it out, but he's in Mansfield, so there might be some travel involved; anyhow, that district has some beautiful scenery, so take your gear with you and make it a mini-holiday in paradise!! :smile: