4x5 lens slightly longer than 90mm

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by michaelbsc, Jun 22, 2010.

1. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey gang, I'm looking for an affordable lens a little longer than 90mm (which vignettes) that's got a circle big enough for 4x5.

I can rob any of half a dozen 105mm lenses on old 6x9 carcasses that won't have the mechanical vignetting problem from the cover, but they don't have a circle big enough for 4x5.

I've got an Angulon 90MM, and it's got good coverage, but it's a little too wide for my purpose here.

I can find spendy 120mm Super Angulon 120mm on the bay, but I don't want to pay that much for an experiment.

Anyone got a suggestion?

2. thisismyname09

thisismyname09 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What about a graflex / kodak 127mm from a speed graphic or similar camera?

3. thisismyname09

thisismyname09 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There also seem to be a few 100mm lenses on ebay right about now, a few schneider symmars and another ektar.

4. GregY

GregY Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Have a look for a 120mm Congo or a WA Dagor 4 3/8. Both very small nice lenses

5. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    100mm Wide Field Ektar. After all you did say slightly longer than 90mm....

It's quite a nice lens.

6. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    120 Regular angulons are good too and they cover 5x7 if you ever move up.

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I robbed a 127 Ysarex from a Polaroid 110a that covers 4x5 and allows for a good amount of movements. They are not expensive at all and can still be had off the evil auction.

8. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Fuji 105mm W or CMW, will cover with room for movements. They both have a rated ic of 180mm. For lots of movements the Fuji 105 SW f/8 has an ic of 255mm. The CMW an SW can be found new.

HOpe it helps.

Gary

9. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really like my 135 graflex optar off my crown graphic. And actually it [barely] covers 5x7.

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the 127 tominon works the same way for me ..
    inexpensive and works well ..

11. fotoman

fotoman Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    The Fuji and Nikkor 105W (and CM-W) lenses will cover 4x5. The Schneider 110 Super Symmar XL, and several 120's... Symmar-S, APO Symmar, and Super Symmar HM... all are excellent lenses, without having the bulk and weight of wide angle designs.

12. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got one of those 127s that I robbed from a Polaroid as well. It's awesome for something that was headed to the trash bin at the time. It's mounted on a lens board for my Toyo. But it it just a bit big for this use.

A 105 would be awesome, and frankly the front standard off an old 6x9 folder would be a good choice, but the ones I've tinkered with so far - a couple of old Agfas with those horrible bellows that fall apart - have too much light fall off when you try to push them to 4x5.

Naturally I have nothing with a "good" lens in it. Just the remnants of the consumer stuff.

13. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not shoot to 5x7 if you can.... that will get you something extra out of your 90 for sure!

14. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a 4x5 homemade box for this particular project/experiment. (And I've got 4x5 film holders coming out my ears collected over the years!)

I do have a small handful of 5x7 holders, but I haven't started experimenting with that size yet.

I do have a 5x7 plan, however. Last year I bought an 8x10 FrankenCamera that needs a little more work. And the back to that 8x10 is readily changeable. My plan is to fabricate a 5x7 reducing back for it one day. Probably next year.

15. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd say just get a 5x7 poco (or similar). I got one for something like $200 with a gorgeous convertible anastigmat lens.... sweet, super light, and fun to tell people that it's 100+ years old.