4x5 Polaroid options?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by joshwool, Apr 28, 2013.

1. joshwool

joshwool Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello all, this is my first post, and am glad to have found such a great site! I'm moving into 4x5 (crown graphic) from medium format and was interested to know if anyone has any good options for finding type 55 or other 4x5 Polaroid film outside of ebay? I know it's become more and more scarce. Or should I just try and find a 405 back and shoot the 3.25x4.25 peel apart film? I'm planning on eventually shooting sheet film, but don't have a tank big enough to process it myself yet. Thanks in advance!

2. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 405 and shoot the Fuji 100c and 3000b when I don't feel like experimenting on film or just want a quick shot. They aren't quite as cool as T55, but any of that you find will be aging rapidly and less and less likely to work well. For learning LF, the Fuji instant is pretty good. You can still make most of the usual mistakes and get them out of your system before going to film and you can see your mistakes and successes more quickly.
    Welcome to APUG!

3. Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A bit off topic, but try tray processing - it's not too hard and helps you learn more about small processing differences.

But yes, I do the same as above for Polaroids now.

4. jvo

jvo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    the fuji instant films are your option at the moment... BUT, they are not 4x5. they fit with the proper back but are smaller, and i've found, less satisfying for other than checking out the camera, situation, etc.

if you get hooked on 4x5 you'll probably find philip taylor's input useful!

welcome to apug!

jvo

5. joshwool

joshwool Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the feed back guys, I do appreciate it. I have a small stock of t55, but am saving it for special occasions. I guess now the plan is to find a 405 back.
    Thanks again!

6. Clemtography

Clemtography Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Btw watch out for some backs because it might not work on certain 4x5.

older model of the polaroid back the dark slide slides out the opposite end if you have anything blocking it your basically stuck with a useless back.

the newer backs like the 550 polaroid would fit easily and all the dark slide and the exit for the film and the latch to load te fill will all be on the same side

7. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A tank for 4x5 film (e.g. the MOD54 in Paterson) is going to be cheaper than a couple packs of instant film...

8. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Type 55 was a great film (in my opinion). I too have some in the freezer. But it is not hard to develop 4x5. As a matter of fact I find it much easier than 120. The method that I use is the alternate dip and dunk using the HP combi system as described here http://www.largeformatphotography.info/alternative-developing/. You will need to find these used, but they are around. However, 3 pyrex meatloaf pans will work just fine. If you are worried about having enough to process or scratching your neg, you can always do one at a time using the brush method.

9. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does it come with a portable darkroom attached? :tongue:

10. jadphoto

jadphoto Member

My experience with all Polaroid, peel apart films is that when frozen the chemicals crystalize rendering them useless. :sad:

Refrigeration is fine but freezing is not recommended. I believe I got the info years ago from Ansel's Polaroid Photography book.

You might want to test a sheet of two of your stash.

JD

11. xya

xya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    maybe this is true for polaroid, but it isn't for fuji fp-100c. I just recently heard about deepfreezing this fuji film and I have done a test: there is no problem in freezing it. I put it into a box (tupperware type), cooled it down in the fridge for 2 days and put it into the deepfreezer for a week. then back to the fridge for another 2 days and back to room temperature for a day. perfect results, nothing changed. I'm a member of a french forum. if you can read french, it's here: http://www.polaroid-passion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17430 . there was another member of the forum who did it the brutal way: from room temperature to the deepfreezer and back to the room, same results. at the moment another member is deepfreezing fp-3000b for a month. we will have the results within the next 2 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
  12. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very interesting, thanks! I've assumed I couldn't freeze it, and I don't have enough space in my fridge for it. I do have a freezer it can go in. I've only got 10 boxes, but it would be nice to keep them as fresh as possible. I'll try it with a box.

13. jadphoto

jadphoto Member

Great to hear, I have several boxes of Fuji 4x5 that are getting old.

Thanks for sharing,

JD