4x5 portrait problem; camera? lens?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Dave Starr, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Dave Starr

Dave Starr Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I recently shot a few portraits with my 4x5. half length, sitting, with the subject's hands resting on his legs. The hands look really huge in the prints. I used a 210mm lens, no camera movements, camera angled slightly downward. Is a 210mm too short for this? Can I correct this problem with camera movements? I was thinking I need a longer lens - 240 to 300 - but if movements will correct this, I'll put the money in film.

2. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you post the shot, it would be easier to diagnose by looking at the shot.

Dave

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    210 should be fine. The answer isn't in camera movements but in posing the hands.

The problem is that it's easy to make the hands look huge, and it's something one needs to pay attention to. If the hands are parallel to the lens plane, they tend to look large. Try angling the hands so they are in profile, and they'll look smaller and more natural.

4. Dave Starr

Dave Starr Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'll have to dig out a print, but for now, imagine the Lincoln Memorial. The shot matches the way Abe is sitting.