4x6 wood pieces

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Wolfeye, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does anyone know of a source for some thin, pre-cut 4x6" pieces of wood, maybe 1/4" thick? I'm planning to do a 13-photo set for each of my kids, mount them on a wood piece, and then assemble them into a collage of some sort for a mother's day present for my wife.

2. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know of anyone who offers precut pieces, but I do know that most hardwood suppliers offer 1/4" thick woods in various species - walnut, maple, mahogany, and even some exotics. And you can get 1/4" oak and poplar at Home Despot.

Sounds like you need to find a woodworker who can cut the material to your specifications.

One minor concern - mounting prints directly to wood is supposedly not archival. (I say "supposedly" because I have a print here in my study that I mounted to a piece of masonite about 25 years ago, and it shows no sign of deterioration - maybe some woods release more chemicals than others, and maybe its just that masonite is a manufactured material.) I would think you could laminate a layer of aluminum foil between the print and the wood that would never be seen and that would protect the print from contamination.

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might try a hobby shop. Or somebody like Lee Valley. Wood that thin can be trimmed fairly easily if it's a little bigger then you like.

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Woodcraft sells various hardwoods in 1/4 and other thicknesses, some of the other places that cater to woodworker also carry small sized lumber. Also check hardwood dealers in your area, you will get much better quality, and probably better prices than you'll find at H.D. too.

Here's an example from Woodcraft's site; http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=681

5. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Shellac (light or dark) is a good permanent, hard, finish if kept dry. Alcohol is the solvent, easy to work with. I think vitamin pills are coated with it.

6. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bug poop. No really -)