50 usd for a canonet ql 17 giii that needs light seals

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by BryceEsquerre, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BryceEsquerre

BryceEsquerre Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The seller states that the camera is perfect (lens , body, shutter, etc...) except for needing light seal replacements. He wants 50 for it (via craigslist) so I could go purchase it in person. This will be my first rangefinder. I can get a 10 dollar kit from Jon goodman and have a canonet in perfect condition . I've seen prices vary on these. Would this be a good deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    get it.... They can go for well over $100 on Fee-bay.

3. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes that is a nice price. Add $10 for the seals and a new leatherette if you want and you are set. :smile:

4. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just did the light seals on mine and re-touched the black interior with model paint. It was relatively simple to do and turned out fantastic. I used the Goodman seals and the instructions were spot on.

Sounds like a good deal for an excellent RF.

5. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Attached Files:

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When/if you check the camera, test it on manual shutter speeds and f stops. Many of these will sound as if they're working but the blades aren't actually making an exposure.
    It won't work at all on auto without a good battery.

7. Mark_S

Mark_S Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A few years ago, for Christmas, I got my wife a new Canon digital camera. On New Years Eve, in Maine, we went for a snowshoe hike in the woods behind our house, she brought her new camera, I brought a Canonet QL 17 and we both shot some images in the woods. Before we got back, my wifes camera stopped working. We sent it in for repair, and were told that it was not reparable, that it had moisture in it, and the cold had damaged it, they further insisted that no camera could be expected to survive such harsh conditions. My Canonet still works fine, and I don't think twice about putting it in my pocket in any weather that I can deal with. The Canonet will provide better quality images than any new camera costing 10X the price, and will still be working long after the new camera has gone to heaven.

8. Al Patterson

Al Patterson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nota bad deal...

I've paid more for one that needed light seals, so $50 to $60 total isn't bad for an excellent camera.

9. BryceEsquerre

BryceEsquerre Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i got a bessa r2a with a 50mm color skopar instead :smile:

10. pinkarmy

pinkarmy Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    bessa r2a with a 50mm color skopar for the same 50usd you mean?:confused:

11. spacer

spacer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as digitals go, after buying a 60D, I keep the XSi around in case I'm going somewhere camera un-friendly.
    That's also my Rebel X's job on the film side, though I've had my A2E out in a decent rain with no ill effects.

As for the OP, I picked up my QL17 for $25, with decent seals but with a sticky shutter and inop meter. I sent it out for a $138 (with postage)
    CLA and I'm pretty happy with it now. If you can pick yours up for fifty, and all it needs is light seals, Woot!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012