500C/M or 2000FC?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by kminov, Nov 13, 2011.

1. kminov

kminov Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi guys,

I am offered a choice between a 500C/M with an Opton 4/50 and a 2000FC with HASSELBLAD 80MM F/2.8 T* F PLANAR, both with some extra stuff at roughly the same price, about 600 euro. Which of the two would be a better choice? I know of the 2000FC shortcomings, my only concern is that I have never seen an Opton lens and I have absolutely no idea how it performs.
    Recommendations? Thanks!

2. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have never heard of it and cannot imagine it would top a T* Hasselblad lens.

Tough one, as I like a fully manual camera body.

3. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was curious about the Opton as I'd never heard of it. Here is what I found:
    "The ownership of the name "(Carl) Zeiss) was disputed after the break up of the firm when the second world war ended and parts of it were moved to the "West" to become Carl Zeiss Oberkochen, and parts of it remained in what then became the GDR.
    The name "OPTON" is supposedly taken from *OP*tische Werke *O*berkoche*N*. Though i'm not sure that it really is.

4. kminov

kminov Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I found that much too, but I have no idea how they perform

5. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The lenses labeled "opton" were generally destined for export beyond the iron curtain. They should perform on par with "normal" Zeiss lenses. Some do even fetch higher prices among collectors nowadays, since they are somewhat rare.

6. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At least buy a 500C/M, much better than 500C, which are dark and lack the ability to change focusing screens.

7. kminov

kminov Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes, I came to this conclusion myself, will be neither of these kits, I spotted in the classifieds section here a very nice kit, so I'll take it - 500cm it is. thank you all!

8. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You might consider taking a couple of rolls of film with you to inspect the cameras and shoot with each, check the results and performance before making a final decision. Personally, I think the 500CM is the way to go. There are plenty of lenses available to add to your kit.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

9. kminov

kminov Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    well, testing is not much of an option, the camera being several thousand miles from where I am

10. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In that case it would be best if the seller has a reliable return policy. The buyer should always beware.

11. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't be scared of a 500C if you can find a good deal on one. I got a jammed up 500C that was in nearly immaculate condition, along with a 500EL, and a chrome 80/2.8 for 250 even. The 500C had an upgraded split image focusing screen, and after $300 worth of repairs, I had a perfectly working 500C, 500EL, and 80, to go with my 500EL/M, 150, and 250. I don't consider 550 all told, bad at all for 2 bodies and a lens.

13. kminov

kminov Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    chris, this was really a very good deal, indeed. congrats :smile:

14. kminov

kminov Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  15. pekelnik

pekelnik Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the tip. Nothing interesting there right now, but 503cx kit for 500 Euros is insane.