50mm Enlarging lenses - which one to keep, which one to sell

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by hoffy, Feb 13, 2010.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Howdy,

I recently bought a bulk lot (LPL-C7700 enlarger, 2 lenses, trays, lights, etc).

The lenses that came in the lot were both Nikkor F4 lenses at 50mm and 75mm. I currently also have a Rodegon 50mm F2.8. Apart from being a little dusty, the Nikkors look in good condition.

Out of the two 50's that I have, which would be better? My untrained eye can't really tell that much difference TBH.

Cheers

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Test them, they should both be excellent lenses. My preference would be to keep the Rodagon because it's a stop faster.

Ian

3. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That was my thoughts as well.....Will get right into both of them tonight.

Cheers

4. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd choose the Rodagon as well. Have one in my LPL 7700 and it works a treat!
    But as Ian pointed out, would be a good idea to test them both before deciding.

5. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keep that 6 elements Rodagon, those 4 element Nikkors (your 75mm is also the same Tessar design) were made in the 60's as budget lenses, they are great performers stop down (f/8) at the center, yet nothing special at the corners.
    All this only being evident if you print larger, on a typical 8x10 size, the difference is barely noticeable.

So, hold on that Rodenstock:smile:!

6. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I planed to improve the 50mm enlarging lenses at a community darkroom where I instruct. Using f/8 and projecting to 7x10.5 inches, I checked center against edge. I found little difference between the Schneider Componar (3 element) vs my Leitz Focotar f/4.5. A new Fuji f/3.5 was a tad behind. I'm surprised at the results but it was at f/8.

7. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I might add that under a grain focus device you can see a crisper image with the Focotar vis Componar. Can't go wrong with a 6 element lens.