50mm f/1.8 D AF Nikkor--aperture ring locked?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Dean Taylor, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    hello--

Regarding my preference of manual mode (setting focus and aperture on F100 myself), my novice/student question is: is the aperture ring normally locked when first mounted on the F100? And, to then set aperture via the aperture ring (versus the command dial) do I unlock it via the small orange tab?
    thanks to all!

Dean Taylor

2. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    On the F100 I think you must keep the lens locked on the smallest aperture if it's a CPU lens. You need to use the command dials to set the aperture. As far as I know there is no way around this, but I would love to hear that there is.

3. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just my opinion, but I think the feel of that plastic ring is so crappy I'd rather use the command dial.

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AND an AIS lens.

5. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The small tab is to lock the aperture at F22 so you dont get an Error code when shooting in Program mode. I think if I remember correctly as I don't use this lens anymore, is that you push in and turn to keep it unlocked and from being locked again. its a smart thing to do if you use Aperture priority mode or Program manual mode. Locks like these slow you down especially if you are accustomed to manual lenses.

6. Danielle

Danielle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

+1 for that. Any lens I've used on anything more modern than my f90x has had to have the thing turned to f22 or whatever the smallest is.