50mm f2.8 lens not working for 35mm? HELP!

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by kmarie, May 10, 2012.

1. kmarie

kmarie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi there, I'm pretty new to printing (haven't done it sine a class I took a few years ago) and I am building my own dark room. I've got everything in order, just need an enlarger lens that works. I read on a forum that the Nikkor 50mm f2.8-f16 enlarger lens works fine for 35mm film. I just got one in the mail and it only focuses the image if my enlarger head is about 2 inches away from the board. Any idea whats up? And any suggestions of what lens I should get? Cause i've tried everything to get this lens to focus while making a decent sized print and it doesn't seem to be happening. If it makes any difference, I'm using and LPL saunders 670 vce. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. alex66

alex66 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you got the right lens board? i.e. does the enlarger need a recessed one?

3. kmarie

kmarie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You know what, as soon as you said that I remembered that my lens board flips over, making it protrude less and it worked. Thank you!

4. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Came here to post this, was the first mistake I made in the darkroom.

5. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've made lots worse mistakes in the DR! Welcome and congrats on you accomplishment of getting you DR up and running!

6. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    enlargers are funny. my Focomat needs an extension for the same lens you are using...go figure. but it is a superb lens.

7. alex66

alex66 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad my guess helped, yes I have made some tragic mistakes in the darkroom. The worst and the one I kick my self for is not clip testing dev before developing film and it takes all of a min.