50mm vs 65mm on Mamiya RB67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by kwall, Jan 28, 2012.

1. kwall

kwall Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all,

If anyone has used both the 50mm and 65mm Mamiya-Sekors, I'm interested in a comparison. Other than the focal length, which is obviously a consideration, are there significant differences between the two? The 50mm 4.5c has a good reputation and I'm leaning that way, but I'd like to more opinions. I'm sure there are a lot of those here. :wink:

Thanks!

Kurt

2. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have and use both, frequently. The 50 feels really wide, wider than the lens equivalency charts would have you think. For general use, the 65 is quite wide.

3. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get the 65 and the 6x8 back. I am not a fan of the rb 50s (compared with the amazing 50 uld on the rz,at least) but it might work well for you, especially for b&w work.

The 65 is excellent and is also rather inexpensive for what it delivers.

4. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will admit, my references are somewhat skewed, as I now primarily shoot 7x7 with the RB and the Dicomed Scan Back, haven't actually put a roll of film in a back in quite some time. And before you ask Keith, yes I still have a pile of 120 and 220 backs.

5. Alan Klein

Alan Klein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have the 65 but I'm a wide angle type of guy, so I have a 50.

Jeff

7. Maris

Maris Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried both and went for the 50mm. The image quality is so good I can always crop a 65mm view out of the 50mm but not the other way around,

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 65 is more likely to be used as a standard lens by me - I use a 35mm lens as a standard lens on 35mm film.

I've had my 50mm lens longer than I've had my 65mm lens, and I really like it.

9. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have and use both. Like so many other "what (fill in the blank) should I use" questions, it's really up to you. I use these two, and a 90 and a 180 depending on what I need to frame the picture at hand. YMMV.

10. kwall

kwall Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Indeed, David. Thanks for reminding me. I understand I ultimately make the decision based on my own needs and interests, but I can still profit from others' experiences and input. As an MF noob and an eager film convert, I'd be imprudent not to take advantage of the wisdom and experience here.

Kurt

11. kwall

kwall Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks everyone! This was the input (and examples) for which I was hoping. At least at KEH, an LN- or better 65mm and is slightly less expensive than an EX+ 50mm, so I think I'm going to go with the 65mm. Thanks again!

Kurt

12. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good choice. Be happy. Don't forget the 6x8 back if you can find one. May be able to adapt a 6x9 back as well.