50th Anniversary of death of Edward Weston

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by mkiernan, Dec 31, 2007.

1. mkiernan

mkiernan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If my sources are correct, today is the 50th anniversary of the death of Edward Weston. Judging by the number of times an image posted to one of the APUG galleries is evaluated by reference to a Weston print, Edward Weston is clearly an inspiration and favourite of many APUGers. He has had an huge impact upon modern photography, and dispite the fact that it is now more than 50 years since he has created an image (and many are now more than 80 years old), his images remain contemporary. Long may his images inspire us.

2. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, if there were a moment's doubt about what to hoist a glass to , EW is worth more than I should imbibe. Happy New Year!

3. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking at a Daybook as we speak. Thank you, Edward.

4. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    January 1st, 1958. I loaned the Eloquent Nude to a friend, else I'd be watching it right now. Instead, I'll have a glass of wine & look thru one of his books (Leaves of Grass, maybe).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2007
  5. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    For many of us, there were only two sources of information about serious photography. The Ansel Adams Basic Photo Series taught an entire generation about how to use a camera, develop film and make a print. The Daybooks of Edward Weston were a record of how to be a photographic artist. Many "new" photographers do not understand why these two photographers continue to command respect and admiration. This is why. For many years these two photographers were the main source for people pursuing photography as art.

6. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The last image he made was "The Dody Rocks" at Point Lobos in 1948. His worsening Parkinson's disease made it impossible for him to ever photograph subsequent to that.

7. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A true inspiration, It's hard to imagine what it would be without his work and writings. A special thanks and remembrance should go to his family who completed printing his work and took care of him to the final day.

Curt

8. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I was thinking about Edward when I got up this morning... I didn't quite catch the sunrise as he did that final day since I watched the ball drop while toning prints last night but it was in part Edward's Daybooks that give me the courage to keep plugging away. His path has certainly made ours easier. Thanks for posting.

9. airgunr

airgunr Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been reading his Daybooks the last few weeks. Quite interesting to see into his mind during the time that he made most of his famous work.

10. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He's a true great for sure-one of my chief inspirations for more than a decade.

11. Merg Ross

Merg Ross Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Your sources are indeed correct. I was with Brett the day that his dad died, January 1, 1958. I posted elsewhere my memory of the day.

Fifty years may have passed, but the immense impact of Edward's work lives on.

12. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thank you, Edward.

13. bwphoto

bwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Galvan

Still recall seeing 'Galvan', 1924 - shooting portrait by EW shown on the front pages of the Detroit papers upon his death in 1958 - that day I became a struggling photographer.

www.robertmosherphoto.com