55mm f/1.9 Computar ??

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by MMfoto, Dec 19, 2007.

1. MMfoto

MMfoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

After looking for at least a year I've failed to even find one of these for sale. Is this a super rare enlarging lens, or was it just not marketed in the US, or what? Apparently it is was also sold as either 55mm f/1.9 Computar, or as a 55mm f/1.9 APO-Computar.

I became interested after reading Ctein's review that showed how well the lens does at larger apertures. That's a quality that would come in handy to cut print times for super dense negs/possies.

Any hints for finding one, and are they worth hunting for?

2. GeorgesGiralt

GeorgesGiralt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi !
    Computar lenses where on the market for a brief period of time (in darkroom, not in CCTV) And the 55 being top of the range, was at a high price tag. Add to this that people tend to buy by reputation and not by technical qualities, and you've small volume sales. Plus the guy who owns one _knows_ he has a gem, so the second hand marked is really tiny. And at a premium price...
    If you can find a 105 mm APO nikkor for my enlarger.....

3. Steve Goldstein

Steve Goldstein Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I've seen two of these in the past year or so on ebay. One was listed as having internal haze, but still went for big bucks, maybe $350 or so. They truly do seem to be uncommon.

4. MMfoto

MMfoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well after 2 1/2 years of looking I've finally found one of these... a 55mm f/1.9 Computar DL enlarger lens, with LOTS of seperation in the rear group. I also have another Computar DL (135mm) with nasty seperation, AND when I found a google archived *bay 55mm computar listing I somehow missed, that one too had seperation. It would seem this whole series of lenses has a problem with this. Focal Point quoted me $200-250 for recementing the rear group. It's probably worth it for this unique lens, but if anyone else is searching for one of these, be advised.

Cheers

5. Michael A. Smith

Michael A. Smith Subscriber

I came into a whole bunch of Computar enlarging lenses. No separation as far as I can see.

Anyone interested, send me a PM.

Michael A. Smith

6. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a 55mm 1.9 with glass as clear as a bell (separation professionally repaired) exc. cond. works like new, in orig bubble for sale. any offers?