5x7 daylight processing

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by dazedgonebye, Jul 11, 2008.

1. dazedgonebye

dazedgonebye Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I’m thinking about doing a little 5x7…problem is, I have no darkroom. So I need a daylight developing solution for 5x7 negs.
    So far, all I see is a Jobo pro tank for $300. I can’t swing that.
    Any other options?

2. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A Unicolor tank, or a Beseler tank if it has all the ribs works for 2 at a time.

3. snallan

snallan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Jobo print tanks (58xx series) for processing 5x7 and larger film. These can generally be picked up second-hand for a fraction of their cost new.

Either that, or try the "taco" method. Roll the sheet of film into a loose tube, emulsion side in, and pop an elastic band round to hold it. Then process in a normal daylight tank.

Or, check out the BTZS tubes. Though I believe that these would require a room you could make light tight for filling with solutions (also check out this thread on BTZS tube usage).

4. dazedgonebye

dazedgonebye Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Where to find these things?
    I checked B&H and Adorama...neither offers anything.

5. dazedgonebye

dazedgonebye Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    How are the print tanks adapted for negatives?

6. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    JOBO 2830 print drum works fine for me. Even with E6.

7. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A paterson orbital will also work - two sheets of 5x7 at a time, and you only need 150ml of developer solution.

Best place to find one is ebay UK, or try Retrophotographic if you don't feel like gambling :tongue: Expect to pay GBP20-40 on ebay, closer to GBP55 from Retrophotographic.

8. snallan

snallan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The tanks are used straight, no modifications. The difference between the Jobo film tanks, and the print tanks, is that the print tanks have a series of ribs running along the length of the tank. These hold the paper in place during agitation, and therefore do the same for sheets of film. (The print drums still take the Jobo reels for roll film development, so they can be used for both roll film and sheet film development.)

If you are only processing one sheet of film at a time, using a Jobo film drum will be fine. But if you want to process several sheets at once, they can move around in a film drum, and can end up overlapping. The ribs in the print tanks hold the film better, and prevent movement. For additional security, Jobo produced separators that clip over the ribs giving more support to sheets of paper/film. Unfortunately these now seem to be becoming as rare as hens teeth!

I get most of my Jobo kit from ebay.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008
  9. Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can process 6 5x7s at a time
    in a Jobo 3006. If you are willing
    to tape two 5x7s into a single 7x10
    sheet, you can process 10 5x7s in
    a Jobo 3005.

10. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You might try the Jobo print tubes first and see if that works well enough using the standard ribs as separators. Takes a little practice but the print drums are relatively inexpensive. The 3000 series film tanks still sell at high prices.

After that, try making your own processing tubes in the style of BTZS tubes. You still need a darkroom of sorts (e.g. a bathroom with a dim light) but this would be the cheapest method. Also, tubes allow you to use different development times or eve different developers/dilutions for each sheet of film. There have been several DIY threads here about making tubes.

11. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Unicolor tank and roller setup works great for 5x7. Just do a search for Unicolor in the APUG forum search field, you'll find plenty. You'll need the PRINT tanks for this purpose, not film. Other brand tanks work fine with the Unicolor roller as well. As far as availability, ebay usually has some.
    As is generally the case with ePay, you just have to be patient to get a good deal.
    Nathan

12. edtbjon

edtbjon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is also the Combi-Plan 5x7" tanks which from time to time show up on the 'bay. They are kind of rare, but does the job nicely. While not exactly daylight tanks, they allow you to turn on the lights as soon as you've put the lid on it. (The lid is supposed to hold the developer, but it's twice the size of a normal Combi-Plan 4x5".)
    Else, I'd like to chime in on the Jobo Expert 3006. Very easy to load, perfectly even development and can use as little as 150ml. I use it with a Jobo CPP2, but anything that spins it should be fine. I started out with a home-built roller-base, i.e. four small furniture wheels on a piece of board. Spin, spin, spin, spin, spin... by hand for 20-30 minutes but it did work.
    As a sidenote, it's the least wanted of the three Expert film drums. I.e. it should go for a few $$ less on that auction site.

//Björn

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008
  13. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The cheepest is the Unicolor or Besseler color print tanks. You should be able to get one for 10 bucks or so. A rotating base is another 20 bucks. If I remember, the 8x10 Besseler has a trench down one side. You go down to the model shop, get a piece of plastic I beam made for train layouts and glue it in. perfect 5x7 holder. The Unicolor has built in ridges for holding film.

tim in san jose