5x7 Ektar 100: Special order through Canham cameras

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by DanielStone, Oct 30, 2013.

1. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey all,

I've just received an email from Keith Canham regarding the start of a special order list for Kodak Ektar 100 in 5x7.

Please contact Keith if you would like to get added to the list on this co-op:
    kodakfilm@canhamcameras.com

An estimated 38 boxes will be needed to put this order into motion.
    Contact Keith regarding exact pricing, but I was quoted "assuming it'll be less than the recent order of Portra 400 5x7 which was completed @ $383/box"

thx,
    Dan

2. Apugabug

Apugabug Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please forgive my ignorance. How many sheets are in a box?

3. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  4. Apugabug

Apugabug Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know keith did an order for 6x7 inch ektar 100 a within a year, yes 6x7 inch. He posted a pic of the boxes.

6. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    If they can leave the 7" side alone and cut the 5" side at 17" (i.e. 7x17), I'd think about a box or two!

7. noparking

noparking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have added myself to the list. He's up to twenty (20)...

8. noparking

noparking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just received an update today. Five (5) more boxes still needed to reach the minimum order quantity.

9. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seven bucks plus a sheet, closer to eight - and 4x5, while readily available, is about the same per area, last I looked. Any wonder I use a RF back 90% of the time when I shoot color in my view camera?

Good luck with the sale. I'm glad people can put this together. But even if I shot 5x7 I'd stick to B&W.

We live in interesting times.

10. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    5x7 has a lovely proportion to it. But for convenience I'll stick with 4x5, and for sheer muscle, with 8x10. ... speaking of which, I should probably inventory what I've got left in the freezer, since the availability of 8x10 is itself intermittent.

11. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    5x7 enlargers are far more common and more manageable to move and house than most 8x10 ones though.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk using 100% recycled electrons. Because I care.

12. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    ... Unless you mount an 8x10 head on em, like I did with one of my 5x7 chassis.

13. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Never could quite love 5x7. I find the dimensions esthetically odd, I guess, plus I don't have a 5x7 enlarger. Shame that, since I have more 5x7 holders than any other kind.

14. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Zone VI and Besseler had them. But they are expensive when you can find them and the Zone VI has other issues apparently in addition to being orphaned. I would love some day to own an 8x10 enlarger that fit in the space of a "normal" enlarger. Right now I can't expand in any direction but at one time the only thing keeping me from going 8x10 was that I couldn't enlarge it.

15. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depends what you're used to. In the digital realm I've heard people who love 3:2 ratio sensors decry 4:3 sensors (and the other way around), I'm sure it's the same in the film world for 3:2 (135/6x9) vs 4:5 (6x7/4x5/8x10), but 5x7 is sort-of in between, you can crop to either 3:2 or 4:5 without losing too much. The best reason for the 4:5 ratio is that it fits with 8x10, 11x14 (just), 16x20 paper, noone really makes 8x12 paper (only 1 in inkjet paper at B&H).

Meanwhile, I just saw that Ilford makes 10x10" paper, now I can finally print my 6x6 shots square...

16. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I print square all the time on 8x10, 11x14 and 16x20 paper. Cut some test strips off one long end and use the rest, trim to suit. I also print square with one large border then have them mounted with that border at the bottom on a standard sized mount board. So, for example, I print 6x6 negatives to 10" square with a half inch border top and two sides and 4" border on the bottom on 11x14 paper, then have it mounted on 16x20 board so it fits in a 16x20 frame. Looks fine and saves on custom framing. :wink: