5x7 film dimensions

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by karin bingel, Jul 8, 2006.

1. karin bingel

karin bingel Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Could somebody tell me what the exact dimensions (in milimetres) of 5x7 film are? I have 13x18 film holders and I am wondering if I can use 5x7 film in them. I use exclusively 13x18 Delta 100 which is readily available in Europe
    ( I live in Greece and buy my film in Germany ) but some times I really feel
    the need for a 400 film and the only option available seems to be 5x7 HP5.

2. phfitz

phfitz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Karin,

Kodak TMY400 = 125 X 176 mm

Hope it's a help

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Regrettably not, at least in my experience. The easiest route is to some find 5x7 holders as well -- which of course share the same external dimensions (as do half plate). I have all three.

Cheers,

Roger

4. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My JandC Classic 400 5x7 measures exactly 4 29/32 x 6 15/16.

At 25.4 mm per inch, this works out to 124.6 mm x 176.2, so basically, I agree with phfitz. :smile:

My understanding is that the external dimensions of your holders are the same as 5x7 holders, but that the interior dimensions are such that you cannot use 5x7 film.

6. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Classicpan 400 is available in 13x18 cm from www.fotoimpex.de if you need speedier film. In the worst case you can always try to use doublesided tape or other low-tack adhesive to secure the smaller 5x7" in the 13x18 holder. Finicky but works in a pinch.

7. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The ASA standard for 13x18cm film is from 12.7 to 12.9 X from 17.7 to 17.9 cm. I don't have an ASA standard for sheet film, but the 5x7 film pack film ASA standard is from 182 to 186.5 X 126.5 to 128mm.

8. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

It's an unfortunate case of overlapping standards - a "big" 5x7" film will fit and stay in place in a "small" 13x18 holder. A "small" 13x18 film may fit in a "big" 5x7" holder. But most of the time, a 5x7" film will drop out of a 13x18 holder at the wrong moment, and a 13x18 film won't lie flat in a 5x7" holder.

I use both sizes, and have two (actually four) sets of holders...

9. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahh - the things you learn too late. I thought I had picked up some bargain 5x7 holders at a camera fair to go with my newly arrived Shen Hao 5x7. Turns out I may have some overpriced landfill. What I bought appear to be "half plate" holders which are marked on one side as 12x16.5cm. This became apparent when the f@#$n' film wouldn't go into the f%$#n' film holders! Do you think the guy at the stall knew I was a sucker...

So, before parting with more money any recommendations on whether to go with 13x18cm or 5x7in (12.5x17.6cm film size) holders and films. My guess is as the US market is biggest and most influential I should stick to inches?

p.s. Any half-plate film available anywhere or any tips on clean, dust-free techniques for trimming film? Or should I just throw these into the garbage bin....

Thanks.... Tony

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Last time I checked (<18 months) several films were available in half plate but not in all markets. Some Ilford films; some Maco (try Mr. Cad); possibly some Bergger (can't remember); even, I believe, some Fuji including at one time Velvia.

Cheers,

Roger

11. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There is also still some films available in 13x18cm and not in 5x7", especially colour films. Just take a look at Kodak's offerings...

12. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ole is absolutely correct, in fact there are MORE color films available in 13x18 than in 5x7. See the comprehensive (at least as of January 2006) table attached.

Attached Files:

13. alexphoto

alexphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Tony
    Half Plate film called NP is made in Germany. It is available in the UK from www.retrophotographic.com. I don't know if that's of use to you in Oz.
    Many people describe half plate film holders as 5x7 so you have to look carefully to what it says on them. If on eBay ask the vendor what the wording is on the holder.
    Good luck
    Alex

14. Petzi

Petzi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    According to Ilford's product availability sheet, HP5+ is available in 13x18cm "whilst stock lasts".

15. poutnik

poutnik Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Tony, Foma offers Fomapan 100 in that exact size (at least here in the Czech Republic, in their webshop, so you could ask your film source for these). And the price is 10% lower than that of 13x18cm...

Hope this helps

16. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tips on film sources. I might just try a box of FOMA and NP so I can get some use from these film holders before they are retired.

As it turns out 2 of the eight holders I got were genuine 5x7 so I don't feel totally ripped off. Maybe the seller was as naive as me after all.