5x7 Film Holders - Market Response Please

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by fotoman, Mar 7, 2007.

1. fotoman

fotoman Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Before we launch into this, we would like to receive an indication of the potential market for brand new 5x7 double sided film holders. These would be in every way indistinguishable from Toyo film holders other than for three aspects...

1. They would carry the Fotoman brand name
    2. The dark slide would be stainless steel (like in a Horseman RF holder)
    3. The pricing would be more attractive

We have already commenced the tooling for 8x10 and 4x10 film holders, having satisfied ourselves that a viable market exists. Once again, these will be indistinquishable from the Toyo holders other than for the same three aspects. We believe there is a viable market for the 5x7's as well, however before making the considerable investment in tooling, we would like to have some feedback.

Thank you in advance for your input.

2. Gatsby1923

Gatsby1923 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd love to have some new 5x7 film holders so i think there is a market for them.

3. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hmmm, somebody - either here or over on LF.info was feeling the waters for real Toyo 5x7 film holders...I guess that you already saw that thread though - eh?

4. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just a comment. I can remember about 20 years ago, you couldn't give away 5x7 holders..the only interest was in 8x10 or 4x5. We truly are living in a golden age for large format.

5. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That would be me.

Toyo still hasnt give me a firm answer on prices, delivery times or any firm commitment as of yet. I am still waiting and I have a call into the rep as of this morning, but they are out of the office until Monday.

Hope it helps.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  6. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The operative phrase here is “….indistinguishable from Toyo film holders….” I think there is a great market for a high quality 5x7 holder. In 4x5 abd 8x10, there is a quality difference between the Toyo holders and the Fidelity/Lisco holders currently sold. For me, the higher quality Toyo holders justify the higher price.

Toyo no longer makes a 5x7 holder. So the talk on the LFF about getting Toyo to make another batch of 5x7 holders has my serious interest. And over 40 other photographers have expressed serious interest on the LFF for a 5x7 Toyo holder as well.

But again, the operative word is “indistinguishable”, where quality is concerned.

The stainless steel slide would be a nice touch. And have you considered the very popular 7x17 holder?

7. fotoman

fotoman Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Yes we have considered the 7x17 as well, and would value any input in this regard also. Our initial feeling is that there is a viable (though smaller) market.

8. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be interested in somebody making 5x7 holders.

9. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great- and don't forget 6.5 x 8.5 as well!

I would definitely be interested, especially at a lower price point than the Toyos. I know there has also been considerable interest voiced in modern 6.5 x 8.5 film holders, both here and on LF Info. I would also be interested in film holders in that size.

10. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    always interested in 5x7 holders of good quality..though I recently found 6 new/like new for $7 each. Those days are rare, so any quality holder would be welcome.

11. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd love to have some new 5x7 holders, especially if they're high quality and reasonably priced.

12. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There still seem to be a large number of used 5x7 holders available, so the pricing would need to be pretty competitive. On the other hand, I'll second the suggestion for some 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 holders which almost never show up in any form.

13. jamie young

jamie young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    problem with full plate holders is deciding which camera to make holders for.
    I have a couple of folmer & schwing full plate rb cycle graphics, and when looking for holders I discovered that every manufacturer had their own size. Took a while to find the right ones.
    Jamie

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jamie young

jamie young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Right after posting I saw a mention that Ebony is listing a full plate camera in their catalog -see
    http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/
    I wonder if they have a source for holders for their camera?
    Jamie

16. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Knowing Ebony, their holders would make Toyo and Linhof-branded holders seem cheap. I would be interested to hear what they're doing as far as the film holder issue is concerned.

17. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That Ebony uses holders made by Lotus. They're based on Lotus' 8x10 holder design, i.e. T dimension and lock rib location per the 8x10 standard, but length and width reduced to match the smaller film.

I'd be interested in Fotoman holders, both 5x7 and 6.5x8.5, if they were indistinguishable from Toyo in terms of build quality and tolerances, but would hope for one aspect to be different -- smell. See this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8417&highlight=reeking+film+holders

I recently purchased a couple of new 4x5 Toyo holders to find out whether anything changed and it hasn't. They've been airing out (in the garage) for three months now. The stench is somewhat diminished, but has quite a way to go before it's acceptable. Despite that, I committed to participate in the Toyo 5x7 special order with hope that sufficient time would make them tolerable to my olfactory system.

If Fotoman were to manufacture 6.5x8.5 holders, I'd encourage it to pattern them after those Lotus made for the new Ebony SV Wholeplate camera.

18. Brian Gatien

Brian Gatien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very interested.
    I have a great deal of difficulty in finding anything in 5x7 here in northern Ontario.

19. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes please

20. bill williams

bill williams Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    5x7 Film Holders

Interested in purchasing several. (something between 4 and 8)

21. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Strangely enough I believe i have enough 5x7" holders for the time being.

But I could use a few more 13x18cm holders - at least until Kodak decides to make the same films available in 5x7" that I can now get in 13x18cm.

But I fear it's going to be a long wait, and that the "equalisation" will be in the opposite direction. :sad:

22. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Recently got into 5X7 and I woudl definitely be interested - 5X7 holders are particularly rare in the UK. And, while I have got myself going with some old ones, when I move onto more serious work it would be nice to have new.

So some new ones would be somethiong I would buy.

23. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would be interested in 5x7 holders too - anywhere between seven to ten.

24. Justin Cormack

Justin Cormack Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would be interested; I expressed interest in the build on the LF forum and wouldnt need holders from both sources; whichever works out...

25. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be interested in around 8 to 10 at a reasonable price.

26. bobherbst

bobherbst Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    New 5x7 Film Holder Viability

You might wish to first talk to the film manufacturers to get their planned commitment to the 5x7 format. The market for new holders is only as good as the availability of film. I mention this because I know somebody who only shoots 5x7 and recently has had problems finding film he is comfortable working with.

Bob