5x7 TMY

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Mark Layne, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

Does anyone know of a source for 5x7 TMY 400

Mark

2. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The only sheet film sizes Kodak makes are 4x5 and 8x10.

3. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak will do a special order for TMY in 5x7 if you buy enough boxes. I did this about 3 years ago, and I have about 4 boxes left. At the time, I think there was about a 22 box minimum...

4. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just out of curiosity, how do you go about placing a special order with Kodak? Directly, or through a dealer?

5. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It has got to go through a dealer, unfortunately.

6. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

I guess it will be PL 100. J&C wins

7. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    ... and 13x18cm every once in a while for the European market. Very close to 5x7", but not quite identical.

8. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Any interest in doing this again, Clay? I absolutely love the format, but haven't gotten a 5x7 back because I thought that TMY was unavailable in that format. 22 boxes doesn't sound too bad. I'd be good for at least 5 of them. Maybe ten. With yourself and Mark, we're almost at the minimum right there.

9. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 5x7 Deardorff and a 5x7 back for my Wehman. I'm currently shooting Efke PL100 and J&C Classic 400.

If someone wants to put a special Kodak order together, I'm good for at least 5 boxes of 5x7 TMY 400.

10. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be in for a few more boxes for sure. I know Sandy King bought some of my boxes from me as did John Zdral. I'd bet we could pull together a purchasing cooperative for this. Anybody game to try?

11. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Ok, I'd like to participate.

Dave in Vegas

12. jandc

jandc Member

We've been in discussions with Kodak about getting TMY cut in different sizes recently. The problem is the pricing they are willing to offer. I am willing to bet that the price they quote you for 5x7 TMY is going ot be around $90 a box of 50. A price that we told them most people will be not willing to pay.

13. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That price is pretty close to what the retail is for 4X5 on a square inch basis, I can see why you couldn't sell it at a profit successfully, but if the cooperative is getting it for that with no additional markup, it seems like the right price range.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That sounds about right. 3 or 4 years ago, it was about $130 per box of 100. Factoring inflation and corporate desperation into the mix makes the $90/50sheets sound just about right. It is well worth it. By far the most usable sheet film being made nowadays, IMO.

C

16. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    TMY is worth a considerable premium to me. The $90 price is a little more than half what you'd pay for 8 x 10, so it's in the ballpark. 8 x 10 is 80 square in., 5 x 7 is 35 square in. More than worth it. Count me in for 5 boxes.

17. John Z.

John Z. Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I would be in for a few boxes also, thanks. I try to do some hand-held 5x7 work occasionally, and must have at least a 400 sped film; TMY is the best!

John

18. Michael Kadillak

Michael Kadillak Member

The challenge with Kodak is figuring out ahead of time what your price limit is and sticking to it because the odds are that it will not be what you expect. Why?

Certain folks at Kodak believe based upon prior experience that some groups when quoted high prices are desperate enough to pay up for getting their order filled. The $50 questions is with the employee turnover at big yellow, are these narrow minded folks still there?

I wish that they would just be reasonable. Count me in for 5 boxes or more if it works out as expected.

Good Luck!

19. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

Cut an 8x10 in half. Nick the upper right corner.

20. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

cut an 8x10 in half. Nick the upper right corner

21. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

I could probably put 3 boxes through the Gandolfi in a reasonable perion of time. Cosmic rays in my freezer seem to have a taste for faster film while passing up on the slow stuff.
    It would be nice if John at J&C would put this together though, his service is so excellent. I'm sure he could move 50 boxes.
    I only came to look at TMY a second time after trying in vain to soak other films to a high enough contrast for G2 AZO
    Mark

22. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've made many negatives with it which have too much contrast for grade 2 Azo, even with a water bath. You can build some incredible density with this stuff.

23. JG Motamedi

JG Motamedi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would be in for a few boxes.

24. haziz

haziz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know they make and I have used Tmx100 in 5x7. Also Tri-X (320) and Portra film. They also make or made 64T transparency film in 5x7.

Sincerely,

Hany.

25. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, I would be interested.

Sandy

26. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Which is one of the reasons this film is so increbile for expansion development in low light and low contrast situations, even for negatives destined for alternative printing. The other reason of course is that it has such low reciprocity failure.

I would really love ot have it in ULF. Unfortunately it does not appear that this is going to happen, in spite of a really tremendous effort put in my Michael, who has really busted his balls to make it happen

Sandy