6-elements Omega lenses?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Michel Hardy-Vallée, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anybody work with the 6-elements 50mm f2.8 Omega enlarging lenses? I saw one at my local thrift store in great shape in its bubble (I inspected it), but I couldn't buy it now because the store owner hasn't set the price on it, and the clerk was only a temp. I'm looking to replace my cheapy Vivitar one, but I was wondering if it was worth the buy, even at a low price.

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did it say made in XXX? One thing is it wasn't made by Omega. Like anything else it depends on how cheap. The Nikon's usually sell for less then $50. B&H still has brand new ones for $150.

It would have to be cheaper then a used Nikon for me.

3. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll have to check again. I was just wondering if it was worth my 10-15 canadian bucks; I wouldn't offer much more.

4. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am almost certain it would be worth that much. It should be a Schneider or Rodenstock. I don't think I have ever heard of a bad six element enlarging lens, however. Unless you have the six element Vivitar it should be a nice improvement.

5. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recall these being made by Rodenstock and only recall favorable comments about them. I'm certain you will see some added sparkle vs the Vivitar. Be careful about what you pay as there are endless good enlarging optics being sold on the auction site at very attractive prices.