6 Rolls of Techpan 120

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by snaggs, Sep 3, 2012.

1. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Greetings,

I have had 6 rolls of Techpan in the freezer since 96. I still even have unopened technidol. Will the developer still be ok?

I've just bought (last week) and Fuji GF670W. I'm thinking it might be time to use the TP. But I'm nervous of wasting it! How valuable do you think it is?

Daniel.

2. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You know what? Stuff it, how about just photos of the kids, family and lego deathstars :smile:

3. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since 1996...? 16 years...? :confused:
    Possibly has become embrittled or sloppy, maybe stained from frost... any manner of damage. Just take out one roll. Thaw in a sealed plastic bag for 8 hours then load it and shoot. But don't shoot an important event. There's a lot of little things to be learnt from this experiment.

4. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which Technidol is it, the liquid or the powder? I've found that the liquid in the small 1-2ml packets can last for a long time without degrading, whereas I have no experience with the powder. As for the film, odds are it's fine. Thaw and open one roll and look for signs of moisture on the backing paper. If there is some, tread carefully. If there's none, odds are that the film will shoot as good as the day you bought it.

6. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Should be fine -- I have used older in a Diana camera. What's a little base fog, anyway!

I'll be testing for base fog on a 4x5 sheet of Tech Pan tonight. Not refridgerated, use-by-date of 04/1996. If it is half-way decent, I'll photograph some redwoods with it tomorrow!

Vaughn

7. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Techpan even if it was stored in a basement should be more than ok.
    Last roll of Techpan that I shot a few years ago was circa 1985 and it came out perfect!
    I used Tetenal Dokumol - they are still manufacturing it and its available at most places. Also, I have used Rodinal with Techpan as well - works great!

Good luck

8. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i will be monitoring this thread as I have 3 rolls that may or may not have been fridge kept and am touring the state of Florida to shoot them through my Mamiya 645 1000s

9. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish I had had the chance to work with this and many other interesting film that are long gone.

10. Jojje

Jojje Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rodinal 1+100 will also work.
    (Have 2-3 rolls TP in my freezer too..)

11. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can still buy 150 foot bulk rolls in 35mm on ebay. One seller there has a bunch of it available.

12. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As others have said, the TP will likely be as new. TP is on Mylar (aka Estar) and will not get brittle with age. If the technidol is a liquid in foil packets it is probably OK. And as others have said, don't shoot your best friend's wedding with a roll without checking if everything is OK. On second thought, don't shoot your best friend's wedding, period.

The Fuji will be up to the job of getting the best out of TP. Be sure to use a tripod. A red filter works very well with TP - you only need ~2 stops of filter compensation because of TP's extended red sensitivity.

13. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks gents, when I bought the film on ebay some years ago, he gave me two half used rolls of film, so I'll experiment with those first. I'm curious to see what photo's he took as he was from Israel and I've never been there.

I'm a newbie to film developing and have never done a roll of MF in my Patterson tank. I bought some Diafine as a no-brainer, and given its contrast taming characteristics thought it might be suitable if the Technidol is dead. Anyone tried this?

Daniel.