612 roll film backs for 4x5

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by fotod69, Nov 24, 2010.

1. fotod69

fotod69 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm looking for my options for a 612 roll film back for my large format. Can't afford the Linhof but looking for high quality.

2. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like my Horseman, which I bought used. I had looked at one of the Chinese (Da-Yi, or something like that), but the Horseman is far better built.

3. fotod69

fotod69 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What is the cost of a Horseman back? Who would you recommend to purchase from?

Thanks, Dennis

4. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought one of the DaYi backs a few years or so ago. When I was looking in to roll film backs I heard reports of a well constructed, all metal back made by them, and a lower quality one with cheap plastic parts. Managed to get an all metal one second hand and it has been fantastic, the build quality is great and it operates exactly as it should. When comparing the prices to others on the market, it was an easy decision for me to make.

5. Frank Bunnik

Frank Bunnik Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The metal DaYi back is exactly the same as the Shen Hao 6x12 back. The Da Yi and probably the Shen Hao back come with metal masks in the formats 6x9, 6x6 and 6x4,5. The cheapest metal DaYi back is about US$ 220 on ebay. The plastic back is cheaper but so is the quality.

6. hirokun

hirokun Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a Horseman 6x9. It's similar to the Horseman 6x12. I liked it in the beginning, but soon realized that I found it annoying that I had to remove the ground glass first before I was able to attach it. So while shooting - if I wanted to do a few different views/angles - I had to constantly remove GG, attach back, shoot, remove back, re-attach GG, etc...
    I then bought a Sinar Zoom 2 roll film back. I simply love it. It supports variable formats (6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 6x12), which can be changed mid-rool, plus it can be inserted between the ground glass and bellows like any other 4x5 holder - it is a bit thicker, but that's not a problem at all. I highly recommend it!

7. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, I think mine is the Shen Hao, oops.

Now that you mention it, yes, I find that very annoying too, a slip-in one would be ideal. I use a Wista metal field and it is a little fiddly to get the GG off: Pull it up, hold the two spring arms, let the gg fall back down into the rear standard, slide it sideways, let the springs snap back down, remove GG... a two handed job, not fun in the cold and near impossible with gloves.

I was aware of 6x7 slide in backs, but not multi-format ones like the Sinar... I anticipate their ebay prices rising sharply after this thread!

8. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too was interested in the Sinar, until I came to the part where the $3,000 price entered the picture. I decided the Horseman would suffice :smile:

9. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well in that case... I won't even be looking into it! I'll just have to hold on to that impossible dream and add it to the list of things I will one day find at a garage sale :tongue:

For now, I'm happy with fiddly springs if it means I've saved $2800!

10. hirokun

hirokun Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Oh no way! $3000 is way overpriced. Well, unless it's brand new. I bought mine for about €400. In a very good condition, including an adjustable adapter for the GG, which shows the crop you'll get in all formats. Bought it off the bay in Germany.

PS: I just checked eBay. There are three Sinar Zoom 2 available as "buy it now". All of them around EUR 550, which is more expensive than I got mine. Definately expensive, but obviously way below USD 3000... Maybe you'll get lucky and be able to auction one or find a cheaper buy-it-now one later on. I guess Christmas season won't be the best time to but stuff off an auction anyway...

11. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Solution

Personally for the number of shots you would get from a roll of film (4?) you could use regular film holders and just make a mask for your ground glass for composition which is what I do. But then i am extremely cheap and really don't do alot of panoramic shots.

12. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess you could, I've got guidelines drawn on my GG for different formats, as well as using cut-out masks... butI'll tell you, I'd rather get six (6 shots when shooting 6x12) shots to a roll than one to a sheet when it ends up in the same format. Just me though, I like 6x12, it's kind of a 'fat panoramic', but if you didn't shoot wide very much, then I guess a whole sheet would do. The up-side of that is, if your wide composition doesn't work well, you've still got the rest of the full 4x5 neg to fall back on.

13. David Grenet

David Grenet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As mentioned, you get six shots to a roll. If you're shooting more than one roll this is quite a saving in the size and weight of equipment you need to carry and the film and processing cost savings, particularly if you're shooting colour, are quite significant.

14. hirokun

hirokun Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Something I used to do before I got myself that 6x12 roll film back was to cut one sheet film shade in two halves. So I take such a half along (the one with the grip). When shooting panoramas I compose the panorama to be either the upper or the lower half of the sheet film / ground glass. When exposing I remove the standard shade and insert the cut/half shade either at the top or bottom of the holder. If I position the panorama at the top, I place the half shade at the bottom and vice versa. I expose, then remove the half shade and reinsert the full one.
    This way you can get two panoramas on one sheet. Although it won't be 6x12, more like 5x12. Cheap solution, will just need to "sacrifice" one shade.

15. RedTownCats

RedTownCats Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's not too late, another vote for the Horseman -- I believe they are also available under the Arca name. Do remember that they do their backs in formats other than 4x5 so make sure you go for the right type.

You can also get Wista backs but, on an admittedly small sample of 3 backs, I have the impression the Horsemans are a little more robust -- I'd still get another one though.

The DaYi and Art-Panorama backs are more primitive though you can get them as multi-format (expansion) backs going up to 6x17

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
  16. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I picked up an all metal Shen Hao 6x12 back for just over $150. I checked the frame spacing by running a dummy film through it and there were no problems. I think a got a bargain.

17. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, there's nothing fancy about them, a two piece black box with a spool at each end, a kurled knob attached to one of them, and a darkslide. I like the simplicity, less things to breakdown :tongue: