645 MF camera with rotating back

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Raglansurf, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Raglansurf

Raglansurf Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Folks,

I've done a bit of hunting on t'interweb and asked this question on another forum but is there a 645 format camera with a revolving back, does the later Mamiya 645 with interchangeable backs rotate like the RB/RZ 67?

2. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In short - No.

3. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Rollei - well, DHW Fototechnik now - offers a revolving 645 back + adapter for the Rolleiflex 600x and Hy6 series 6x6 SLRs. It's pretty expensive, though.

None of the Mamiya 645's has a rotating film back.

4. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best you can get is a 645back on a Hy6 or an RB67, no native 645s have ever rotated (as far as I am aware).
    But then, unless you're really really pressed for film/cash, you may as well just shoot the full 6x6 or 6x7 and crop.

You may have gotten confused by reading about a Leaf Digital Back, some of them that fit on 6x6 (like Hassy V mount) can rotate around.

5. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Maybe this is a really stupid question, but can't you just rotate the camera? I get why you'd want a rotating back on 4x5 or larger view camera... but for normally handheld or small-tripod-held cameras like 35mm and MF, seems like it's just as easy to turn the camera whichever way you want to frame your picture.

Duncan

6. Ghostman

Ghostman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a 645 back for the Mamiya RZ.

7. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The reason you want a rotating back on the RB is for the Waist Level Finder, or ground glass, that most people use. Its a royal pain to use the finder sideways. You can get a prism, but then it weighs a TON, and still not ergonomic. The camera needs to be, and was indented to be, used vertically. I would just pony up for an RB kit. its a great camera.

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm probably just quibbling over semantics, but I think what I would like to see is a rotating 645 back that will work on a 6x6 camera.

9. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rollei seem to have the only one, although for the price, I'd rather just use more film and crop (I'm not counting the RB/RZ67 because they're 6x7 and you said 6x6). Can't find anything for Hassy/Zenza/SL66 etc.

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After looking at the price, I think I understand why I didn't know about this back ...

I've blocked it from my mind!

11. mweintraub

mweintraub Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not only that, the camera needs to be bigger to accommodate it. Like the RB67/RZ67 cameras. They are actually 7x7 cameras because they need to accommodate the 6x7 or 7x6 orientation.