6x6 equivalent of Rollei 35SE or Minox 35 GT?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by gbenson, Mar 13, 2014.

1. gbenson

gbenson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all,

I've been trying to find a cheap(ish) viewfinder 6x6 camera with a range of aperture settings and shutter speeds and some ability to focus (guess focus is fine). It would preferably not be a folder, and definitely not anything with a look-down finder. Kind of the 6x6 equivalent of a Rollei 35SE or Minox 35 GT (I'm aware that both of those fold in some way!) Obviously a Mamiya 6 would be great, but I don't have that kind of budget! Does the camera I'm imagining exist?

Thanks!
    Gary

2. Someonenameddavid

Someonenameddavid Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    If you don't mind 6x7, and can carry the weight, the Omega 100/200 series are usually bargains. And indestructible. And can stop a bullet

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are looking for a fixed lens, rigid, relatively simple camera, with a good lens, there isn't a lot between basic box cameras with no adjustments and coupled-rangefinder or reflex cameras that have lots of sophistication.

You may want to re-consider a folder, for example, the little Welta Weltax I had up for sale (and sold) recently was a very pleasant little camera to use and has a pretty decent lens.

Another option might be something like a Yashicamat TLR, and just use the sports finder most of the time. They are light, reasonably compact, good optics, and don't cost a fortune.

Attached Files:

4. onepuff

onepuff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you would consider a folder, the Olympus Chrome Six and Mamiya Six (original) both have excellent Olympus Zuiko lenses. They cost about the same as a Yashica 124 TLR in good condition. There are also quite a number of good German folders still available at reasonable prices below what can now be asked for a Super Ikonta. I would concur with bdial that the Yashica TLRs are also a good buy with nice lenses and are quite capable of taking excellent pictures. Don't overlook the likes of the Yashica-mat EM and LM models as the prices for these haven't quite kept pace with the 124(G) models but in many ways are just as good with a slightly more vintage look. I had an EM and enjoyed it greatly.

5. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There are a lot of nice folding cameras out there in the 6x6 format. Agfa Isolette III has an uncoupled rangefinder. The scale focus version is the Isolette. Also, the Voigtlander Perkeo and the Bessa 66.

From Zeiss Ikon, the Nettar and Ikonta (scale focus) and Mess Ikonta (uncoupled rangefinder).

Balda has a nice little 6x6 folder, which should be inexpensive.

From the 1930s, there is the Kodak Vollenda 620 (the scale-focus 6x6 model).

Just how small is your budget?

Oh wait, a non-folding 6x6 camera that doesn't have a waist-level finder and isn't a TLR for a small amount of money? Yep, probably doesn't exit.

6. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Kodak Medalist? Great lens on these cameras, easy to focus.

7. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Kodak Medalist is not inexpensive, unless prices have dropped.

8. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I did think of one. The Braun Paxina.

9. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 56/2

10. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    And Kodak Medalist is not small, not lightweight, and not 6x6. If the OP is willing to depart that far from what he seemed to be asking for, he might as well just look for a GW690. KEH is currently showing one in BGN condition for all of $339, and they have a liberal return policy.

11. gbenson

gbenson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A Paxina 29 or 35 is exactly the kind of thing I was after, thanks elekm.

12. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not so long ago I got Paxina for 5 euros, played a little and sold it on ebay for 3 euros :smile:.
    Lens was foggy and full of cleaning marks - but anyhow pictures were not bad at all when stopped at f11. Camera was very easy to use, feels sturdy and it is not heavy. Worst thing is very small viewfinder.

13. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There are two styles for the Paxina. The simpler version has a square collapsible lens panel, while the other has a traditional collapsible lens like a Rollei 35 or other collapsible lenses.

The one with the collapsible lens should have a leaf shutter and a full range of apertures.

[​IMG]

The shutter on this one has four speeds: 25-50-100-200 plus B. Apertures run from f/2.9-f/22.

14. Argenticien

Argenticien Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    f/2.9 on a 75 mm lens is pretty fast for a scale-focus camera. At 10 ft (and I'm guessing your focusing scale is in feet), the DOF wide open will be < 1 ft in front and behind. I know I'd have a hard time guesstimating that. I would have to keep this loaded with ASA 400 film and stay well away from wide-open, but others with better skills may relish the challenge...

--Dave

15. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  16. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Paxima's are nice cameras, light, and a pretty good lens, I have a 29, with the collapseable lens, and the prontor shutter, with speeds from 1 sec to 300, It is very usable,and I have taken some nice shots on mine, If scale focus is a problem you can pick up a small shoe mounted rangefinder for peanuts, whhich makes any scale focus camera with a shoe an uncoupled rangefinder camera
    Richard

17. nosmok

nosmok Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hapo 66e or its Balda parent-- fast lens, auto stop on film winding, very compact when folded. The film wind takes some getting used to but the Enna lens is excellent, a real sleeper.

18. gbenson

gbenson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought a Paxina 29 off ebay for £14 this weekend, so lets see where this takes me.
    Thanks everyeone for the advice, I'd never have found this camera without it!