7 Hasselblad bodies on the Bay

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Andrew Moxom, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just gauging interest from anyone wanting a hasselblad body. On E'Bay is an auction for 7 Hasselblad bodies! :- http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-Seven-7-...yZ107925QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was wondering whether fellow APUG'ers might be interested in collaborating on this auction? I do not need 7 spare bodies, but know I could use a spare black finished body and WLF so I dibs that black one in the middle picture with WLF attached. I figure that if we had enough folks this might be doable?

I also do not need the 150mm lense as I already have one.

So who needs to get into a Blad system at a reasonable amount, a 150mm lens, and who needs a spare body?

I figure that most 500 C and C/M bodies go used for between $200 and $300, on the high end with a WLF. The ELM body will be cheaper usually. as well. As for the 150mm, I would say between $500 and $600 tops.

Anyone intersted in collaborating?

2. schwefel

schwefel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmm, Listed in category: Cameras & Photo > Film Cameras > 35mm SLR > Nikon > Other

I think that may limit his exposure a bit.

3. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Out of curiousity, I visted that e-bay site ... I think there would have to be somewhat more of a description than, "I tried winding the shutters (with or without a lens installed? - ES) and four of them WORKED!!!"
    Then modifyng that statement even further with, "But I don't know anything about MF cameras anyway."

Not really unusual for "the bay" .... but, IMHO. damned thin assurance that these would justify a $1250 - or even a $125 gamble.

4. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Plan on spending an additional 1200-1500 for a CLA and repair, and this isn't such a good deal. I would purchase one from a responsible dealer with some kind of guarantee.

5. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Junk, all junk. Maybe get them, tear them down and make some fine Art sculpture and sell that to some rich Hesse owner for a hundred thousand, then buy some nice Large Format equipment and photograph around the World for a year.

6. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of the 7, it seems that only 4 are known to be functional. Even allowing for the 150 lens it comes out to 200+ for each functioning camera. Seems like an OK deal, but not extraordinary.

7. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Notice the US Government Property sticker on the lens. And if my hunch is right the little DOE stands for Department of Energy. I bet these have never been used, or maybe used one single time and they were bought for pennies at a government auction. The starting price is still way too high though, the guy should start them out at $100 and see what happens, probably still make a profit.

8. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The seller says the lot is from a government auction. I used to look at those on occasion but never any photo gear near me. I have seen a lot available in the Norfolk area and the seller does say item located in VA. Hard to say what condition they really may be in - he should at least offer a return policy. At $800 it might be worth a risk, but not at $1250. And, as a group purchase, who gets the one or 2 that might be working.

9. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd definitely be in for the 150... if you want a little financial muscle behind the bids.. looking a bit high now though maybe...

what's all this pussy talk about condition. I've bought blad bodies sight unseen before - without even a picture - and they've been just FINE...! A little TRUST, people...!

10. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is no trust on ebay, especially from a short time seller.

11. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those are usually the very BEST deals, I find. I've NEVER been ripped off - and I've jumped at stuff by first-timers and always done super well - because everyone else is so paranoid... not much risk involved, especially if nobody else is bidding...!

One of the riskiest was a guy selling a rolleiflex outfit in Colombia - he insisted on payment by western union. I did it - and got the camera (in BEAUTIFUL shape) a week later - all for about $100...! Fool's Paradise? Maybe... but it works for me...

12. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The whole lot went for $1760 in the end. Way out of my league right now. Spendy, but still a fairly good deal in the grand scheme of things. Oh well.