70 inch C. P. Goerz Apochromat ARTAR

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Airik7777, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Airik7777

Airik7777 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hello,
    I considering parting with a large format lens that I have had for many years. Here is the basic information from the rim:
    C. P. Goerz A.M. Opt. Co. Apochromat ARTAR 70 in. F:16
    Physical dimensions: Approx 6” external diameter. Approx 9” length.
    The lens itself weighs just over 19lbs.

It was used on a custom built, large format graphic arts camera and dates back to the late 40's or early 50's. It is still in very good condition and has a custom wood storage case. It has been locked away in a safe for about 20 years and I have decided that it's time to finally part with it.

Anyone know of sources other than eBay that would be a good place to list such a lens? I know there has to be a very small market for something like this but also want to make sure it ends up somewhere that it can be used or maintained in a collection. If nothing else, it makes a wonderful conversation piece!

I have posted a few photos of the lens.
    (The CD shown in the one photo is just for a size reference.)

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Attached Files:

2. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    eBay. There are probably only a handful of people in the world that would want a 70" lens and eBay is the best way to find them. Run of the mill crazy people with normal 20 x 24 process cameras aren't likely to have enough bellows length for that lens, but hey--maybe someone is turning their house into a camera. :smile:

3. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You can try listing it on the Large Format Photography Forum:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/

Bear in mind that there's a 30-day waiting period there before new members are allowed to post in the classifieds.

But yeah, even on the LF board, potential users of a 70" lens will be few and far between.

4. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There was man in New Orleans who had a huge vacuum frame (15' + long) on rails in one room. The other room had a similar, smaller frame for E size sheets of film, also mounted on rails. The wall between these two rooms was his "lens board". No doubt he had a lens not unlike this one. I wonder what happened to that lens.

5. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I built my 20x24 field camera to use this length lens, but I honestly can't imagine actually doing it.

6. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could put this lens on a 4x5 and do large format bird photography with it. That is a massive lens.

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear kind sir,

I wonder, please, can you tell me, this fit my Canon EOS DSLR? I am professional photograpzkxher I looking for lens I use for fine art lens for sport, portrait, landscape, candid, fasjzkxion, nude, auto, animal, leaf, and perszkxonal thing.

Regards,

Joe Smith

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  8. Wyno

Wyno Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That lens would swallow a DSLR for breakfast.
    Mike

9. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heavy lenses are a PITA. I have a 1200 mm Apo Tessar which I would love to use but at 23 lbs it needs it's own tripod. It was ok on my big enlarger but otherwise a paperweight.

10. totalamateur

totalamateur Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Let us know when and where you post it, I'm intereted to see how much buzz it generates.

11. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Wowzers, that would be almost 2 yards (almost 6 feet) of bellows just to focus at infinity. You may find tire kickers but few takers no matter what the price.

12. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'd love to have it -- I would make a solid bellows 5x7 or 8x10 camera just for it (depending on how big the moon would be on the film. But I could not afford it, unfortunately...especially for the one or two images I would make with it.

Who knows how big the moon would be on the film with a 70" lens?

Vaughn

13. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    70 inch lens. 1/2 of that is 35 inches. 1/2 of that is 17-1/2 inches. 1/2 of that is 8-3/4 inches. So, three doublings of an approximately 9 inch lens. Each time you double focal length, magnification doubles. Therefore, the moon would be (2x2x2=) 8 times larger than it would be with a 9 inch lens. If the moon is 1/8 inch in diameter with your 210 - 240 lens (and I think that sounds about right, from last time I shot the moon with a 210...though it was several years ago), it would be 1 inch in diameter with this lens. Hardly worth using sheet film, unless you were doing double exposures wanting to superimpose a giant moon onto another picture. I'd do it with a 6x4.5 instead.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Dang -- hardly worth it then -- I might as well hook the beast up to a 4x5 with a roll back.

Thanks.

16. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you use it as a telescope with an eyepiece and a film back where the eyepiece focuses, you can more than fill a 4 x 5 with the image.

17. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The depth of field on this beast must be about 1/64" :smile:

Talk about Bokah!

18. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Actually, Richard Ritter is currently building a 20x24" camera with 90" of bellows. So, Richard may know a potential buyer for this lens.

19. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I know a guy looking for a lens to cover a wet plate camera he is building that will shoot a 6' x 6' ( yes that's feet..how crazy is that?) plate with 12 feet of bellows. He may be very interested in this lens. Robert

20. kfleming

kfleming Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The references to using it as a telescope may be something to consider. Some amateur astronomers build their own telescopes, and that may be a good audience to target if you list the lens on the auction site.

Keith Fleming

21. eddie gunks

eddie gunks Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    awesome lens. i saw one the other day. massive. almost too heavy to pick up.

keep us posted.

eddie

22. alan-salsman

alan-salsman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    what will it cover,as in inches of film? what value do you place on it? are
    do you have any intrest in a trade.I have an intrest in ulf
    40x50 or bigger. using a camera built out of carbon fiber,which I would have to build .

23. Steve Hamley

Steve Hamley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It will cover (sharply) a plate about equal to it's focal length, or a plate with a 70" diagonal. Artars are generally acknowledged to cover about 46 degrees, but they will at least illuminate quite a bit more than that, much of which may be perfectly usable for contact printing.

Focal lengths longer than about 35" tend to bring relatively less because as one person noted, very few people have both a camera that can support it and enough bellows to use it.

The "sweet spot" for Artars is IMO 30" and 35". possibly up to 47-1/2" although that's stretching a bit. In these focal lengths a larger number of people can use them and there are few alternatives. 24" and shorter, lots of choices and Artars bring much less.

Your lens is rare and has some value as a collectors item, especially with the box, caps, etc. Coated 30" and 35" Artars will bring $750-1000 in barrel on a person-to-person sale, and $1,300-$1,500 in shutter (based on eBay sales and personal purchases over the past two years). Red Dots will bring more than non-Red Dots, and pristine coated lenses with caps and box always bring a premium. Your lens seems to have a 78XXXXX serial, so it's a coated lens made just prior to the Red Dot series. I'd guess your lens would be worth $2,000 - $2,500, but that is a guess and you will be looking hard for a buyer unless it's bought for the collector's value.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Steve

24. alan-salsman

alan-salsman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Steve thanks for the info.----------Airik7777---I have a strong interst in this lens as a user.If your are interested in talking give me a email or phone# alan-salsman

25. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OMG... the handle for setting the aperture is almost as big as a cars gear lever! :surprised:

26. jonw

jonw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, I just found this thread and that is a large lens. I just recently acquired an 11x14 Studio Deardorff which uses 8x8 lens boards. It would fit, but I may need to acquire a third bellows extension to fully realize its potential. But before that can happen, first I need to see what my newly acquired 11x14 Wollensak Varium f4 will do. I just cut a hole in an 8x8 board large enough to handle the flange which is 6 1/2"+ across.

Jon