70mm Ilford ULF error READ TODAY!!! we can order 70mm!!!!

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by StoneNYC, Jul 24, 2013.

1. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hey guys,

There was some miscommunication about the 70mm order from ilford, if you dont know, ilford is making 50ft 70mm rolls in both Double Perforated and NON-perforated available as a special run.

THIS IS (almost) GUARANTEED now because apparently enough people signed up.... but one guys is in Norway and Freestyle can't get in contact with him, so we need your help!!

ANYONE who wants to order a roll or two of the 70mm double pert AND non-pert, please do so TODAY, if you don't call TODAY by the close of business, that's it... (there's a tiny window in the first 10 minutes they are open tomorrow before they send out the final numbers to ilford, but really, just call today!!) Freestyle is in California so call before they close!

Orders from Freestyle ONLY (as far as I understand) and oder from...

number: 800-292-6137 extension 102

Please do it now!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
  2. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Good job Stone, grassroots at its best......

Who is our missing John/Jane Doe????

Maybe it's Nicolai? Ohhhh Nicolai....are you the missing link?

3. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    OH don't forget you can re-roll the 70mm non-perf into 116 and 616 rolls for use in old folders too!

4. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Update: If you don't see this until tonight, and freestyle is closed, Lauren has told me that you can email her overnight, and in the morning she can call you and take the credit card info and charge it, BUT YOU HAVE TO ANSWER YOUR PHONE or she won't be able to put it in :smile:

It's 2pm now there, so you have like 3 hours to call...

otherwise use this email: laurenm@freestylephoto.biz

and leave her your contact info and she will do her best to get orders in first thing in the morning before submitting them to Ilford.

The Double Perforated is still in danger because the Norway guy isn't responding, so PLEASE if you need some 70mm Double Perf, order 2 rolls! :smile:

5. BentleyR

BentleyR Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I can verify that Stone is not imagining this. I also talked to Lauren and got a confirming e-mail that the minimum has been met (I actually upped my order just in case). Lauren said they are open till 6:00PDT so, as Stone said, just a few hours left!

6. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Bently, did you order the non-perf or the double perf? last I spoke with her she said someone who saw this ordered 2 rolls of the non-perf but that the double perf still had 2 more orders needed to meet the amount needed if Mr. Norway doesn't return her messages in time.

Thanks.

7. BentleyR

BentleyR Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I ordered double perf. for my Fairchild panoramic aerial camera. Yes Mr. Norge still hadn't weighed in but at 5:19 EDT she said "Good News! We will have enough unit order for this item to be produced". I imagine (hope!) that there were orders from other retailers and we three (you, me and Norge, Lauren said there were only 3) are the only users in the world.
    Often visit NYC and pass through CT. Grew up in Queens, Mother-in-law is still there. Maybe our paths will cross.

Allan

8. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ya know I didn't ask her how many total, I should have, but maybe tomorrow, don't want her line to be busy when another order is attempted... oh so then you're not the one she meant, so I guess you put us over the top yay!

I asked her why freestyle didn't order a few rolls themselves, I can't imagine it wouldn't sell in the next year before the next ULF ya know? but she said because it's so specialized her boss' wouldn't let her haha.

OH well... glad we're all good, but don't miss out guys! just order!

And yes that would be cool, there's another guy in CT who we keep trying to hang out, did once and I forgot my camera! I was in a rush not to be late and forgot I had taken it inside and not left it in my car the night before. I always wondered if he thought I was making it all up haha.

Let me know when you're around.

9. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow. Unfortunately (or thankfully?) I'm not into 70mm yet, although I seem to be trying everything around the shop lately.
    It's this kind of news and support that restores my faith in the film industry, and is one day going to make me hit the 'buy' button on a wacky old folder (or they make 70mm backs for hassies, right?)...

10. europanorama

europanorama Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    which films-which prices?

Which films and which prices?
    Why cant Ilford take orders from single persons? At least if they dont live in the usa. In europe.

11. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Bump :smile:

Nothin warms the analog-heart more than a buch'a folks getting some obscure (sorry Stone et al) film from a great company to make their art:smile:

Any folks on the "right side of the map" just wakin up? See OP's orig.....

Thought some Austrailian/NZ types might'a expressed interest....

Lets keep this top-pug for a few more hours....till Freestyle calls "last shot"....

12. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yes they make a 70mm back for the hassie, I have one for my Mamiya, but it's the same for the Hassie, actually the Hassie is smaller, I used to own one thinking I would switch, and then never did haha, so I traded the Hassleblad 70mm back for 4 rolls of 70mm tech pan... yup, that was a GOOD TRADE :smile:

I'm not sure what you're asking, this is specifically 70mm Double Perf and 70mm Non-Perf, it was only offered in HP5+ You'll have to call freestyle or rather email now for the exact price but it's roughly $130 for the non-perf and $180 for the double perf and that's 50 foot cans.

Sorry if I wasn't clear since I kind of assumed anyone reading this would have already known about the ULF run and the films available. My Apologies.

13. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just emailed them before seeing your post on the second page. $180 for 50' is more than twice the market price for 120 so I doubt I'd be buying any.

14. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Polyglot, you knew the price before and you said the same thing in another thread about it being too much like a month ago haha, or I think that was you... not like the price suddenly went down.

Better to be able to use your camera back than not, plus it can be used for 116/616 also and that you can't get fresh. All the other 70mm stock left is kinda old... I haven't seen any that I haven't had to mess with a lot to get to expose decently.

I get what you mean if you compare it, but hey, it's available, and guaranteed, couldn't hurt to get a roll, if you have or want a 70mm 6x12 back for a graflock, it saves a LOT of changing rolls when you only get 3-4 images per roll haha.

Anyway, I hope you decide to grab one at least.

15. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nah, this is even higher. Wasn't it 100' rolls before or am I imagining that?

I don't have crazy old folders so I'm not the 116/616 market, nor do I absolutely need 70mm to feed a pano camera or similar. The only reason for me to buy it over 120 (HP5 is readily available in 120!) would be price, and that's the wrong way around. As far as I'm concerned, if I'm buying the equivalent of 55+ rolls of film (150') then I expect a discount not a premium! That is in no way saying that Ilford's price is "wrong", it is what it is and no doubt due to their small-run cutting and hand-packaging process for this run. It just means there won't be much of a market at that price.

16. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I agree, I think the idea is that, now that the ULF run happened, the tools and special machinery to make the perforations and cut the film will now be made, so in the future, the cost will go down (in theory) I mean the price for the 46mm (127 film size) equated to $5/roll which is 1/2 of efke's price and a better film... so I guess part of this was about "taking one for the team" so to speak. I do hope by next year it's significantly cheaper.

17. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If they have the tools, they should IMHO make up a batch and try selling it in the normal channels at the same price (per length) as 120. Maybe a couple different (and slower) emulsions. That way, I suspect they'd maybe get the volume to make the tools worth running.

Doing tiny hand-packed one-off batches guarantees higher prices than the market will bear, which pretty much means the capital cost of the cutting/punching tools will be wasted.

But then, Ilford are doing pretty damn good without my advice already.

18. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    This is the ULF run, they've done the numbers and its not worth making more that's why they have the ULF special order, they only added roll film as a courtesy, if it weren't for my bugging they wouldn't even have offered 70mm at all. It wasn't offered in the past...

So they are doing what they can to help us. They can't make every format, and as it stands they only JUS got enough orders, sure it might be cheaper if they made more, but they would need a LOT more to cover the amount needed for profit and the market isn't there...

Anyway, BUMP!!! Last chance for anyone to email an order!!! 2 hours or so before she comes into work and checks her email!!!

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

19. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Sounds great for you 70mm'ers.

Let's hope next year brings some FP4+ !

20. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Doubt it. Also it's possible by then ADOX will have produced a 100 speed film in 70mm... at least they claim that from what I recall, and there also may be a color 70mm by the new Ferrania, but both those thoughts are speculation so far based on comments by reps from the respective companies and only MAYBE from both, but it's possible.

OK can someone close this thread please, I don't know why I can't even close my own threads... someone give me some privileges already! :smile:

21. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's easy, just stop posting and it'll go away...

22. europanorama

europanorama Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Mamiya rb67/70 back does not go onto hasselblad but with adapter to rz.
    2. ilford will offer standard 30.5m rolls. 17m/50 feet) is for 35mm films.
    They would rather offer 120/61.5mm long roll films so we could produce our own 220. or running long-roll 220(longer than 172cm-220-lenght) in roundshot. ok we can cut down 70mm unperforated.or expose in 70mm back and cut-down after shooting. or develop with the 70mm-reel-special-solution we described elsewhere.
    for that price(pls confirm) one could buy agfa avicolor x100 or x400 (i am sure they have UP also) and cut down to 61.5mm/120 to get it developped in the lab.
    avicolor x-versions have no mask, are most ideal for b+w and scannning. push and pull should also be no problem(colors are preserved). they have more color advantages.

23. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm sorry if my response is blunt but, are you high right now? What are you talking about?

First of all this event is over, you cant order anymore....

Secondly I don't understand about your Mamiya Hassleblad comment.... they are two different camera companies, they both made backs for their respective camera systems.. hassleblad made a 70mm back for the Hassleblad and Mamiya made a 70mm back for the Mamiya RB76 and there is an adapter plate you can get to put RB76 backs on RZ67 bodies so that is how you can use a 70mm back for the mamiya.

I don't know what you're talking about with the whole 220 business... this is 70mm which is not 120 or 220 ... that is 60mm film ...

I develop my 70mm with a 15 foot capacity 70mm SS reel, I have extras, including a daylight tank of my own invention that I'm actually going to sell soon since I have an official Nikor one now which are incredibly hard to find and expensive, so if you want my hand made version, it's $180.

I don't work for AGFA, I can't confirm anything about their future production of 70mm in color, except that it won't happen anytime soon, certainly not in the next year. And I have no knowledge of the quality of their color films...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013
  24. Mike Parkinson

Mike Parkinson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am one of the Freestyle customers that Lauren contacted. I confirmed my order for 70mm non-perf for my 616 Ikonta. Weird to see it mentioned here Lets hope it happens.

Mike

25. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hey Mike :smile:

It happened for sure, because I posted this she actually got a few more orders so we're over on both films :smile:

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk