>75% portrait ratio

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by philldresser, Oct 18, 2005.

1. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been indexing my negs recently and whilst doing this I noticed a predominance of using the portrait format over the landscape format in my 35mm work. Sad git that I am I decided to take the ratio over the last 12 months and worked out to (portrait : Landscape) 76.5 : 23.5

Anybody else have this tendancy?

Phill

2. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just had a quick look in my APUG gallery and my ratio is (here at least) running close to evens (57.89% in portrait). Nineteen photos, eleven in portrait, eight in landscape.

3. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Phill, my wife is forever telling me that I am sad, and a git for that matter. So I guess that my answer is "Yes". I also tend towards being a sad git.

:wink:

4. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And how long did you say you had been married?

Phill, trash the 35mm gear and go square; solves the problem.

5. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would that make me a square sad git?

6. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    In my LF work, I predominately use landscape format, to a higher degree than I've used here. Probably 80-20 would be my guess.

For some reason, when I first started LF photography, most of my shots were verticals, but over time that changed to horizontals. Guess I'm more relaxed now :D

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Same

I'm mainly a portrait photographer, and would think that the proportion of my 35mm work is about the same. In medium format, 6x6 in my case I try to compose my shots in the square format and have them printed 8x8 or 10x10 to use the whole of of the neg.

8. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have definitely found the same thing in my 35mm photos. Futher more, I see that when I crop a 6x6 neg to fit on a rectangular paper, it too is usually of a vertical (portrait) orientation.

I almost would like to ask a mean, mean question: to all the RB67 users, if your back was to get jammed in one position - and you could pick, which would it be? :D

Sorry, thats an evil one - but they have their RB's and I am still saving for mine! :wink: