77mm or bust

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Curt, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one of the two RB67 lenses that I've ordered, both 77mm filter size, so I started a search for the filters. I was surprised to find so few and the filter ads were geared toward d i g i t a l. :confused: DuH I guess.

Where is the best place to get the best price on a K1, K2, R25, you know the reds, yellow, greens? Some where there are photo stores that are or have closed and have drawers of the old fashioned filters for the old fashioned cameras that take the old black and white film.:D

Oh to be a mouse in such a store!

Curt
    </IMG></IMG>

2. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I either use B+W filters for black and white on my RB67, or Lee square resin filters. I can't see the difference in quality between B+W and Lee, the only disadvantage with the Lee filters is that you can't then use the mamiya hoods with them.

3. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most of the Canon "L" lenses also use 77mm so I can use the same filters on my Canon and my RZ. If B&H doesn't have what you are looking for, try contacting:

http://www.photorama.com/dates.html

I know Abraham has a bunch of filters in his inventory, and if you are buying several, you might be able to make a reasonable deal.

Bob

5. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want cheap buy used. You may be able to find top brands for the same price as new house brands.

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And yet another suggestion to check KEH.

7. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mind that with some of the RB lenses you can put a [much smaller] filter on the rear element. I have resorted to taping some on, since the 77mm filters are so scarce and pricey...

8. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't had any troubles finding 77mm filters. Nikon makes really good 77mm filters and I also have a couple of B&W and Hoya filters in that size. They're around. 77mm is a common filter size.

9. Don12x20

Don12x20 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format

77mm are inexpensive new compared with 105mm or or 122mm or 135mm used on Big Boy lenses*.

Rod Klukas at Photomark in Phoenix keeps a number of filters available through 105 (135 are "demitasse saucer-sized" filters, according to Rod -- he can special order these). No, not close out priced. He may sometimes have some used high end (heliopan or B+W)...ask

Consider step rings so you carry a single set of the largest filters to use on all your lenses...
    Regards
    Don

* Google "Union Pacific Big Boy" to see what is meant by this term ;-). These were the largest steam engines built

10. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Curt,

There are 954 hits for "77mm filters" on "that" auction site, you know the place. In the past I have picked up b&w filters, filter cases, metal screw-on lens caps, all 77mm. The 77mm Nikon filters were $19-$25 each, they looked NIB.

Link here: 77mm filters
    Terry

11. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, perhaps I should clarify, the IR and UV filters that interest me are prohibitively expensive in 77mm. Basic filters should be easy enough and not too expensive. But still, I think there are some potential benefits of rear-mounting the filters.

12. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Used. I'd also suggest looking at the 82mm with a step down. The two tend to have about the same prices but sooner or later you end up with some 82mm lenses. Above 82mm prices soar.

13. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Check Calumet's online auction site store.

14. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unless you're shooting a LOT of IR, I'd get a 4" gel and a Cokin. It's just not worth the price for the glass IR filters at that size unless it's all you shoot.

For commonly used yellow, orange and red I'd go for the 77mm.

15. Robert Kerwin

Robert Kerwin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you don't mind Hoya and the like, try http://www.camerafilters.com. A 77mm double-coated color filter will be about $40 and will most likely be in stock. I ordered from them about a year ago and was very pleased with their service, especially after hitting the wall with the big online dealers being out of stock and quoting 6-8 weeks for delivery.

- Robert

16. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well Keith is right, I have the 90mm and the 180mm lenses now and my extensive collection of 58mm filters, I have a Mamiya 645 setup, fit on the back of the lenses just fine. I have a Polarizer that I bought for my Schneider 210mm lens that I use on the front, 77mm, and have been using the 58's on the rear, odd coincidence that the Mamiya RB67 front is 77mm as is my Schneider and the rear is the same outer diameter. I'll just double up until I get the 77mm filters for ease of use. Imagine buying the same collection in 77mm; eight color balancing, three reds, three yellows, two greens, uv, pl, sky, and some other one's including all of the special effect filters like start burst, soft focus etc. It would cost me a bunch of that green stuff. Thanks for all of the advice.

Curt

17. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was mistaken, the 90mm rear element housing extends too far into the camera body to allow for the mounting of a filter.

18. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For IR I use a cokin IR filter on my RB, works fine and it's not expensive.

19. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I should add that it's the cokin P system I use. I've moved up to Lee 100mm system now, but still use some cokin filters (including the IR) in the cokin P mounts that Lee supplies.

20. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll check out the Cokin and Lee systems. Thanks.

21. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is what I found to work. On the 90mm I use a 77mm to 58mm step down adapter on the front and my 58mm filters. The glass is small on the front element and the housing is the one size barrel of the RB67 design diameter. On the 180mm lens I use 49mm filters that fit inside the inner metal tube in the rear of the lens. The filter fits exactly into the diameter and doesn't block the rectangular metal cutout with rounded corners. Any filter larger won't fit into the body. There is no vignetting on either filter lens locations.

22. Frank Szabo

Frank Szabo Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Calumet has (listed on FleaBay) a ton of filters and, as I recall, quite a few sized for the RB67. Check it out - most, I believe, are around $20.