7II Flash Suggestions

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by rpsawin, Nov 8, 2006.

1. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just purchased a 7II and would appreciate suggestions for a flash unit. My requirements are very basic and I don't anticipate using it a great deal. It would be mostly for fill flash and occasional use.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

2. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sunpak 383 Super or anything like it would be good. I have a few of 383 in my camera bag with slave units, and 120J barebulb/parabolic flash. It's better to use your brain and dumb flash than a smarter flash units and a dumb photog.

3. Baxter Bradford

Baxter Bradford Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I bought one of the basic Metz 36 which has been fine on the few occasions I have used it. The Stofen diffuser works very well.

4. fotoman

fotoman Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Take a look at an older Nikon SB-20. If you find a clean one on eBay, it will be cheap, small and powerful for it's size.

5. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had great luck with this series of Osram flash units. They also made a series that articulate in the center instead of a top drum but they seem to be a bit troublesome and have higher trigger voltages. The head swivels and the drum will allow the use of a wink light to fill in shadows when using the bounce mode. The attached picture is of the lowest GN version and they made them in increments to 340 (GN 34). I've used this style in all of the power ranges with many different cameras and they are extremely accurate and controllable. They're a little bit hard to find but usually don't command too high of a price when you locate one.

Attached Files:

6. Jeffrey A. Steinberg

Jeffrey A. Steinberg Member

IMHO, the best flash is the Vivitar 285HV. Great sensor, and with the Mamiya lens you get to synch at any speed (not that it is a feature of the Vivitar).

I like the Vivitar due to its power and low cost on eBay. You can also power it with a Turbo battery with the right cable.

--Jeffrey