8mm kodachrome 25, too old to use?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Radioiron, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Radioiron

Radioiron Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I bought a movie camera last year that had with it a unexposed roll of Kodachrome 25 with it. I only realized recently that I should take a look at it and the possibility of using it after I sold the camera I got it with and bought an older, nicer Cine Kodak.
    It has an expiry date of November 78 and was stored at room temp since then in a camera bag in its original box and tin. I could tolerate some shift but would it be too far gone? Just thought I'd give it a shot. Maybe give it 1/2 stop overexposure to counteract speed toss

It also has the original price tag on it, $3.09 at Drug Fair. Seems like that was an awful lot.

2. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's cooked. Absolutely shoot it though. I would try ASA 10.

3. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is anyone processing Kodachrome 8mm anymore? I thought that went away when Kodak Switzerland went away. I could be wrong about that though!

4. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dwaynes does everything Kodachrome from 35mm on down, including 8mm.

5. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh cool. I have one last roll of Kodachrome Super 8 that I thought I couldn't use. Whoops.

6. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shoot it and send it to Dwayne's via Wal-mart. It is cheaper than Dwayne's, and for a 30+ year old roll of film, you don't want to spend too much.

7. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Walmart returned my last roll of K40 super 8 saying service not offered...

8. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They did that to me too. You have to also write "Send to Dwayne's Photo" now for it to go through.

9. Dirb9

Dirb9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As others have said, Dwyane's does 8mm (and I presume 16mm) K-14, but officially, they only have Kodak's approval for 35mm: they say there is something up with the agitation for MP film. I haven't noticed any difference.

10. typicalaussiebloke

typicalaussiebloke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have you shot the film yet? If not thought I'd share a little bit of my own experience on expired Kodachrome movie film. If I were to shoot that film today in 2014 I would shoot at around 3.5 to 4 f-stops above normal, say in f-16 sun lighting I would shoot at around between f-4 and f-5.6. I've shot Kodachrome 25 that expired in 1980 and it made great pictures. As for the developing side of things, as I know the Kodachrome don't exist no more but the film can be cross processed as a B&W negative, I process all my Kodachromes in Caffenol C, the Kodachrome 25 I would process for 6 minutes in Caffenol C-M at 20 deg C.

11. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Umm... you resurected a five year old post, wudda ya think mate?

12. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think ya need to get some fresh film! Ya beena tooo longa wit thus vintage filmy. :smile: