8x10" ?????: Fujinon - W S 180mm

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ruilourosa, Aug 27, 2011.

1. ruilourosa

ruilourosa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hello

will a single coated fujinon w s 180mm 5,6 cover 8x10???? i read that it had a 305 circle at f:22

thanks

Rui Lourosa

2. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Highly doubt it.

3. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    In this UNOFFICIAL list, the Fuji 180/5.6 W is claimed to have an image circle of 305mm. It isn’t stated, but I presume the lens must be closed to f/22 to get the circle that large.

http://www.willwilson.com/fujinonlc2.html

If so, it barely covers 8” x 10” at infinity with essentially no movement.

Note that the list shows 7 180mm lenses, but only one achieves a 305mm image circle. This list doesn’t include a 180mm “WS” lens.

If you need coverage for the 8” x 10” format, consider a wide-angle lens like the 150/8 Nikkor SW. It has an image circle at f/22 of 400mmφ (covers 10” x 12”).

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It should cover with no movements. I use a newer EBC 125 SW with a smaller image circle probably less than 290mm for 8x10. The 4 corners are dark but cropping about 1/8" to 1/4" all the way around removes the vignetting.

I have not tried that 180mm lens because the 210mm Fujinon covers 8x10 with enough for good movements.

If you get it, let us know how it works out, I'm interested to know.

5. Steve Goldstein

Steve Goldstein Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If, as I suspect, this is the one with the lettering visible when you look into the front of the lens, I believe the "S" just means the lens is in a Seiko shutter but is otherwise identical to the Copal-shuttered version. My old Fuji catalog (late 1970s) says 305mm image circle at f/22. It should just hit the corners of 8x10 at infinity, but you'll need to be careful about centering. At moderate distances you'll begin to get a little movement. I've used one on wholeplate, it's the widest lens I've got that'll cover the format.

6. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    YUP---it covers...STOPPED DOWN.

look at the corners and slowly close the aperture till you get circle (after focusing at infinity)--I got mine like f32 or 45...just did this last week and I cant remember--all I know is it was "up there" in aperture number....STILL have not actually shot it 8x10---I only did this to see i it would cover myself---got a 190 wf ektar that does the job. I bought the lens to make a hobo camera for 8x10....still haven't done that.....

7. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use the fuji 180 without the S for whole plate and it covers nicely....great lens!
    Best, Peter

8. pgomena

pgomena Member

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the diagonal of an 8x10" sheet is 325mm. I don't see how a 305mm coverage would not vignette the corners. You might get a little extra "spread" at apertures smaller than f/22, but as folks have said, there wouldn't be room for movements at infinity.

Peter Gomena

9. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  10. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Nope. Not unless you're around 1:1 with little or no movements. You might get the illumination circle to
    cover the film, but a lot it is going to be poorly defined. The shortest realistic lens for 8x10 in this series
    are some of the OLDER 210's and 250's, with inside lettering.

11. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a great 5x7 lens. I wouldn't try any movements with 8x10.

12. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because the film holder casts a shadow at the time of exposure, the actual image on the negative is less then 325mm diagonal. Also, when you overlap the image slightly onto the blades of the paper easel you can produce a print that looks excellent with a 305mm coverage taking lens.