8x10 Masterview tripod

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Richard Wasserman, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for a tripod for an 8x10 Kodak Masterview. I have a Gitzo 1570M head that I'm planning on using with the new legs. I know that the classic choice is a Ries, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a Dutch Hill P900. It is a carbon fiber photo version of a surveyor's tripod. You can see it at: http://tinyurl.com/b5psj It looks very interesting to me. What do you think?
    Richard

2. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Looks good!

Richard-I've been checking out sites that have surveyors tripods also. This looks like a winner. I think these types of tripods rival a ries anyday. How much is it? The price factor should have something to do with it.Your biggest concern is having a nice big pan head on top to stabilize the camera. The heavier the camera the more top stability you will need. Gitzo used to make a real nice one.
    Check out the big auction site or B+H might still have some left in stock(sorry I don't have model #)
    Best, Peter

3. colivet

colivet Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That tripod may look trick but the the base on which the camera sits is really too small. It will put a tremendous strain on the fastening screw. Also carbon fiber while a winner in terms of strenght versus weight, when it gets hit it may chip or break. Also carbon fiber being so amazingly stiff will not help vibration.
    Don't get me wrong, it looks usable and it may be fast to set up, but if you are going for a long term relationship to photography, I suggest you go Ries.
    By now you should know I own one and it has been the most dependable tool I have ever had. I even put it knee height in streams without fear of causing it any damage.
    Also consider that many times you will want to carry your camera attached to your tripod. I wouldn't carry my masterview on that one in the picture.
    One more thing, Ries tripod have lockable legs, and they don't slip nor break which is of use one uneven or sandy terrain.

4. Charles Webb

Charles Webb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For what it is worth, I have been very successful over the years using surveyors tri pods modified to handle large format. I have never used carbon fiber, but I certainly would not be afraid to try it. As far as the vibration thing, this is the first time I have ever heard it. Wouldn't sweat it a bit, do your worrying over the wind is my opinion.

5. Mike A

Mike A Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  6. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

IMO, it's not vibration that you see coming through into your photo, it's the torsoin swaying that you see. The gigapixel people talk about this, but of course they have a huge mass. The Dutch hill looks good. Whenever you have two attachments per leg at the head, you are good. The wider this attachment, the better, for this is reducing the back and forth movement seen in the camera.

I use wood, metal, and carbon fiber tripod and don't notice any difference in vibration. If you want a cheap good aluminum tripod that can take an 810, try a Paillard tripod. You see them regularly on ebay for $50 - 75. The other tripod that is wonderful for 810 is a wooden Miller cinematic tripod. If you can find the lighter model, I believe they are much finer than a Reis. I don't see them on ebay or in the still camera circles much.

Nice to have a tripod that doesn't have to have spikes if you don't want them.

7. galyons

galyons Member

I will wholeheartedly second the Miller tripod. I have had a Berlebach for over 3 years that I use for 6x6 & 4x5. It is a wonderful tripod. Very well built and versatile. Mine is the 3 section, column model. I tried it with my KMV 8x10. Yes, it worked, but I was never quite confident, especially with the bellows out for longer lenses. No, I did not think the Berlebach was going to collapse, I just don't think the effective mass was enough for the "sail" of an extended 8x10 bellows. That being said, if I ever decide to backpack the KMV, I would take and use the Berlebach.

A fellow APUG'er sold me a wooden Miller that was very sound, but cosmetically challenged. I refinished it. I also acquired an older Ries A.

I like the Miller so much that I have hardly used the Ries at all. The Miller is lighter, the curved profile of the legs make it easier on the shoulders to carry. The semi-ball mount of the Miller is rock solid and combined with a Gitzo 1570, a super stable platform. Much more flexible in movement than my Ries head.

This is not a commercial endorsement for the Miller. Can't be...the model I have is long since out of production. But if you happen on one for sale, give it serious consideration. Also, my comments on the Ries are not a "slam", it is a great tripod. Perhaps an even more solid platform, but at a weight premium.

YMMV,
    Geary

8. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, but you won't get nearly the deal on a Miller that Geary got! (And I still can't get him to part with the Ries....) :smile:

9. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

Here's a Miller and they don't know what they have. Free movie camera.

10. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where??? Where is it, I don't see it!!!

Thanks everyone for your input on my tripod quandry. I was not familiar with Miller trpods and will look into them more. If that doesn't pan out I think I'll try the Dutch Hill- they have a very good reputation with surveyors so I assume they know how to make a camera tripod.

Richard

11. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think Colivet said it best with the "Long term relationship" line. If your worried about the weight, try the Ries "J" series. The J 100 tripod and J 250 head can handel a 13lb. Deardorff with a 14" Ektar. I feel they are good for up to 7x17. After that look to the A 100. In ten seconds you can reverse all 3 legs from rubber to spike. This is a tripod to live with.

And yes, I do own both CF and metal tripods. I hope I'm right about the "J" series, whatever, it's the next size down from the A line.

12. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just want to let everyone know that I received a Miller tripod today and it's a beauty. It's rock solid and not too heavy. I need to modify it slightly so I can mount my Gitzo 1570 head on it and I'll be ready to go. One question- each leg has a free swinging triangular wire ring. Anyone know what they're for? Thanks, this is going to be a great tripod.

Richard