8x10 mystery enlarger

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Kimberly Anderson, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey gang,

I have this 8x10 enlarger sitting in the back room here at school just waiting to be re-installed. It was at one point being used, don't know when or by whom. But...I think all the parts are here. I haven't found a negative holder though, but I think I know where one might be hidden away.

Anyway, I was getting ready to put it back up and start printing, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has any info on this thing. I think it'll be about 8 feet tall when it's all put together...maybe taller.

I have a Schneider 300 5.6 lens to put on it too. Now to shoot some negs and buy some big paper...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It is an Elwood.
    The negative carrier is wooden and has a piece, or possibly 2 pieces, of glass to carry the negative. Be sure you have the diffusing glass in place, or use opal or milky plex as diffusion.

3. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yup, Elwood. Let me know if you need any help. I have a few 8x10's I'd like a crack at on an enlarger. I could bring that sink up too.

5. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jason,

Yeah, it'd be fun to have an 8x10 enlarging day every now and then. We could invite some of the local 8x10 shooters to come and just print a few to see how they look.

Sink! Ack! I'd totally forgotten. We should talk soon-ish...

I'll be up in Park City at the Kimball Arts Center that night if you happen to be heading up.

6. Captain_joe6

Captain_joe6 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It is indeed an Elwood. I've got one, and the neagtive holders are most certainly not wood. They're not steel, but they're not wood. Aluminum or magnesium I believe. There's a suitable manual to be found in the mentioned link. If you've got any questions on the unit, I've got one in good shape that I can poke around on and get an answer for you.

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Finally figured out why it looks so funny in those pictures; its upside down.

8. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I have a 4x5 version of what looks exactly like this in my garage. The negative holder and a lot of the parts are a pressed wood sort of stuff. I have been slowly cannibalizing the thing for other projects, and the light dome on top is one of the coolest parts. Mine is about 18 inches in diameter and what looks like silver plated inside. There are metal blades that go into the negative holder to crop the negative also.

9. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pics please! I haven't found my negative carrier or the plexi diffusion panel.

10. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Michael.
    I have the wall mounted version of the same enlarger. If you want to take a look at it let me know. The neg carriers are aluminum but could be made out of wood if you can't find one. If you are talking about the Watterford School, I am just 2 miles from you.

Jason.
    Mine is up and running if you want a crack at it.

11. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Michael, Jason, we could get together for lunch and look at both enlargers if you like.
    John

12. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd like to see your enlarger very much. I can swing by on the way home from school one day. Gimme an e-mail and we'll decide a time.

13. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today's the day...I'm setting it up.

14. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Correction...today is the day. It is SET up.

All of the pieces were there, the diffusion glass, the heat glass shield, the metal masking blades, everything! I've put a neg in, plugged it in, the bulb works and the image on the floor looks AMAZING.

I'm going to try to print today...

I want to make my own negative carrier now. I want to be able to print with a good heavy black edge, so I'll cut some glass tonight and make a new carrier for it.

I am very excited. I think I'll go shoot 8x10 tonight!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009