8x10 sheet film movement

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by climbabout, Mar 27, 2006.

1. climbabout

climbabout Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Any of you had any problems with 8x10 film either shifting or buckling during long exposures - i.e from say between 10 seconds and 2 minutes? Any tricks out there?
    Thanks
    Tim Jones

2. Daniel Grenier

Daniel Grenier Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Nope. Not me.

Can you explain your problem further? Are you, perhaps, shooting with the film (camera) aimed straight down? What kind of film holders? Are you less-than-careful when firing your shutter at both ends of the shoot? Are you maybe removing a lens cap too harshly to expose the film (thus creating vibration)?

I use Fidelity holders for my 8x10 and never had this issue - even with exposures as long as 20 minutes. If you have a solid tripod and steady camera in a vibration free are, I can't see your film shifting or buckling.

3. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have. I think its a common problem. Mostly I've seen it on hot, humid days. Solutions I've heard about are tapping the holder before insertion, using some kind of double sided tape, and waiting a period of time between removing the dark slide and making the exposure. I solved it by going to 5x7.

4. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never had that problem.
    But hot, humid day comes pretty rare here in Norway :smile:

5. climbabout

climbabout Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have eliminated camera vibration of any kind in this instance - the tripod was solid, ground movemnet in this area did not occur and the esposure in this last instance was long enough that any movement from the shutter opening and closing would have had no noticeable effect on image sharpnes. I'm not sure which holder this neg cam from - either fidelity or elite -.

6. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe the film has slipped a little in the holder? I've made it a habit to tap the holder a few times to be sure the film is seated before I insert the holder into the camera.

7. climbabout

climbabout Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks - that's my gut feeling as to what happened - I believe there's probably about 1/32" play in how the film fits in the holder and it may have just shifted.

8. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That would be my guess, as well, Tim. The film will move around within the tolerance area during transport, and if the shooting position is opposite the side that the film settled to during transport, gravity will often eventually take over. I've also adopted the habit of tapping the holder (holding it in one hand, and tapping against the other palm) just prior to insertion to move the film to the bottom.

9. climbabout

climbabout Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks - That procedure will now be part of my routine - I never dreamed a change in format from 5x7 to 8x10 and from enlarging to contact printing would involve this big a learning curve. Throw in getting accustomed to pyro based developer and semi stand development and it's like starting over.

10. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do the tapping and have never had a film shift. And I shoot in a hot and humid climate.
    juan

11. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Tapping helps eliminate film movement.

To stop the buckling, with the shutter closed and the dark cloth over the back of the camera and film holder, remove the dark slide and wait 1-2 minutes for the buckling to take place. The make your exposure and there wil be no further buckling.

12. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    When out using my 4x5, I once had some film buckling and couldn't reinsert my darkslide. I tilted the camera upwards and with the help of gravity, was able to salvage that piece of film.

13. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've never had film buckling, but because I cut my 8x10's from a roll, my trouble (not too often thank goodness!) has been negatives falling out of the holder from being cut too small :sad:. I also started tapping them down into place before I expose (the film) and as long as they're cut right, I have no trouble with expansion from heat.

cheers