8x10, x2

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by dehk, Feb 2, 2012.

1. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got outta the darkroom and I still smells like Dektol. Alright lets get to the point, when I was in there I decided to put 2 sheets of 8x10 next to each other and printed it at the same time.

I call that my poor man's 16x10, its actually not too bad, and fits the 35mm frame nicely, well, as long as you don't stick your nose into it, sure looks a lot better and attractive than 8x10, from a distance.

I think I just might build an easel for that purpose.

:munch:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2012
  2. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    16x20 would take four sheets of 8x10. Two 8x10s would be either a 10x16 or an 8x20 depending on which way you turned the paper.

Did you do that in one easel? Interested in how you kept the two prints aligned and the paper flat. This could have uses. I'd be inclined to print those on one 16x20 sheet since I can do so, but this would also allow, say, 14x22 or 11x28 panoramas on two sheets of 11x14, or correspondingly larger sizes using 16x20.

3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    interesting conceptcouldn't you use a 16x20 easel?

4. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You guys are absolutely correct. In my silly and tiredness I wrote 16x20. I caught myself half an hour later staring at it and edited the post to 16x10 which is the correct size. But that tells you I am very good at math right?

How I did it was rather silly too, as I do not have an easel bigger than 8x10, nor paper. Can't afford those come on :D . The negative I chose was rather dense, and my lens only opens up to f3.5 (if i used the red filter under the lens and put the paper there I wouldn't be able to see the edges) so it ended up rather tedious.

First I use a big piece of foam board and sit it on the base, with the safe light on I put 2 pieces of 8x10 paper on there, line them up pretty good, and use a pencil to draw four corners and couple lines on the board. after that I put the paper back in the box. Turn the enlarger on, and adjust the projection to the outline that i've made on the foam board (well I put something heavy on the board so it wouldn't move much either). And then I would turn the enlarger off again and line the papers back up to where I've marked with tape at the back. And then I stop down the lens quite a bit to make sure it will be ok even though if the paper is not perfectly flat. Print.

- I found out that 16x10 I is pretty close to a full frame 135, which is a plus.
    - I originally thinking mounting 2 photos and put them next to each other, But right now I imagine they won't look too bad inside a single photo frame either.

Like I said I might make an 16x10 easel, since it actually worked out well, I don't have the money but I have the tools!

Cheers.

5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or you can go bigger and use 3 or 4 sheets of 16x20. My 'poor man's mural print.'
    [​IMG]

6. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dektol shouldn't have much of an odor, though. :smile:

7. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Definitely I have to do that when I can afford papers bigger than 8x10, well, in reality i need something that worth printing that big first!

8. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh i am a messy printer when vodka is involved. :laugh:

9. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah sure. Tells us he can't afford 16x20 and then turns around and splashes his prints in gold toner :smile:
    Fantastic print! Love it.

11. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it gold toned? It DOES look great.

16x20 can be expensive to get started. I was set up for nothing larger than 11x14. I kept an eye on the forums and a saved search on eBay for many months before I turned up a 16x20 easel I was willing to pay the price for, considering I have an 11x14 V-Track for most of my prints. I'd like to have a big solid four blade 16x20 or 20x24 but I wasn't willing to pay $200+ for one, in addition to the shipping on such a beast. I finally turned up a NOS Bogen 2 blade for a good price and scarfed that up. Add the price of some trays, a pack or two of paper, it adds up. Some people advocate the under bed plastic storage things for trays but when I priced them, ones large enough to work cost as much as regular photo trays from Freestyle.

12. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No No, its definitely not gold tone or toned in general. I have coffee but they don't look too great on RC paper lol.

Yes bigger easel are more than I can spend, I might just make one. Figure out if I need a bigger easel, thats money, and then I need bigger trays, money, dilute more chemical, more money, and most importantly, bigger papers so I can MESS THEM UP, a complete waste of money, haha. I'm just doing what I can and try to make the best out of it.

Thank you guys for the compliment on the print.

13. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Both your print and ic-racer's are superb! Lovely work and a great idea. I really enjoy the MacGyver approach to getting things done!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012