9 x 12 Film Holder

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by MUDeye, Dec 11, 2012.

1. MUDeye

MUDeye Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Totally newbie, I just purchased a 9 x 12 Voigtlander. It is in great condition and can't wait to get into the field. Never shot large format before. It came with 6 original film holders. All still contain glass negatives. Can I recondition the holders? Can the be converted to cut film sheets? It seems like there would be a lot of wiggle room for film sheets. I have read that the external dimensions of 4 x 5 film holders are the same as 9 x 12. Should I buy new holders? Will any brand do?

2. Two23

Two23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Try to find some 9x12 film sheaths on ebay.

Kent in SD

3. apkujeong

apkujeong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could just load the negative in the holder using the glass plate as a backing. I do this with a 10x15 plate camera I use. I'd suggest trying it out with an old negative, but you wrote it's your first time trying LF, so if you don't have one available maybe cut a piece of paper or some plastic to size, then try loading that, and check that it doesn't fall out when you pull the darkslide. It should work fine though.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've bought some metal sheet to make some inserts, first I'm making quarter plate adaptors but then 9x12 as I have a few but need more. I've some other jobs more urgent but hope to begin next week or over Christmas,

Ian

5. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format